Feed?

tmain

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
I was told I should check the duck page to see what ya'll are feeding your ducks. I was told Corn chop. I have two ducks now. One was a give away at a ducks unlimited banquet and then I got him a girlfriend. They live with my chickens... and I'm kind of tired of my chickens eating their chop. Not enough protein for my girls. Do I also need to keep their water available all winter long? If so I need another stock tank heater.

What is corn chop?

I feed Countryside Organic Layer, and keep some Mazuri Breeder on hand for treats and nutritional boost.

They need a good balanced ration, with the right amount of protein as well as vitamins and minerals.

Corn chop (be it complete cracked corn or the stuff left over from cornmeal production) isn't a sufficient balanced diet for either chickens or ducks and should only be offered as treat that is a small part of their diet...

For a mixed flock of ducks and chickens IMO you should looking at a 18-20% all flock or flock raiser balanced poultry feed or even a higher protein game bird or turkey feed both offered with a side of oyster shells for the layers extra calcium requirements...

As for water ducks don't technically need open water in the winter but they will certainly enjoy it and take advantage of it if offered...

I feed a chicken layer for my ducks and chicken.

They will still need water to dunk their heads available when food is around for the winter. They'd also appreciate, but not need, open swim water for the winter

I was using Purina FlockRaiser but now use a duck formula from a local feed manufacturer/dealer. The 18% protein and lower calcium are critical for ducks, especially non-layers.

I mix together two separate layer feeds. Countryside Organic and Nature's Best Organic Layer Pellets. I generally try to avoid corn for my ducks. So first, I would consider getting them an organic feed with minimal to no soy or corn. Corn chop may be cheap but your ducks/chickens will likely have ill health and won't lay very much. Countryside sells for about $35 for a 50lb bag. That might be a good option. And about the water, you should have some for them in the winter. They don't need to swim but as long as they have some unfrozen water throughout the day, they should be fine. Though I don't have any clue on how to heat the water without electricity, besides carrying buckets of hot water to them a few times a day.

And about the water, you should have some for them in the winter. They don't need to swim but as long as they have some unfrozen water throughout the day, they should be fine. Though I don't have any clue on how to heat the water without electricity, besides carrying buckets of hot water to them a few times a day.

I should clarify what I meant when I said they technically didn't need open water it the winter it was in regards to open 'swimming' water, they still need drinking water...

As for carrying out buckets of hot water, ironically if the conditions are right (not fully understood) the myth of hot water freezing faster than cold are actually true sometimes, it's called the Mpemba effect and although observed and recorded by Aristotle in 300 B.C it's still not fully explained or understood even with modern science, but it is a fact... I would just bring out liquid water ;)

I was told I should check the duck page to see what ya'll are feeding your ducks. I was told Corn chop. I have two ducks now. One was a give away at a ducks unlimited banquet and then I got him a girlfriend. They live with my chickens... and I'm kind of tired of my chickens eating their chop. Not enough protein for my girls. Do I also need to keep their water available all winter long? If so I need another stock tank heater.
Just like your chickens your ducks need to have fresh drinking water only difference is the ducks need to dunk their heads to clean their nares. Heated buckets are a nice alternative to having to break ice and carry out water frequently during the day. And a good quality all flock feed is a must if you want healthy birds. Or Duck feed

Welcome to BYC

Sorry, but of course I have drinking water for them. Their little pond is frozen, that's all.

Sorry, but of course I have drinking water for them. Their little pond is frozen, that's all.
I'm happy to hear it. You know alot of folks don't know that ducks need to clean their nares out especially when eating so if we seem a little over the top forgive us we just are passionate about our flocks and want to make sure everyone is familiar with how to care for them..If they have never had ducks before.. Pics when you can we'd love to see your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom