1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feed.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickChick16, Jun 14, 2016.

1. ChickChick16

ChickChick16 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    should you mix the oyster shells in with the layer feed or offer it seperately?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Always separately. They will only take what they need. But if it's mixed in they can't avoid it and too much calcium causes kidney issues.

3. ChickChick16

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    ok thank you , someone told me to mix it.. and i wasnt sure.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I am no expert, and you may never notice a problem if you do mix it. But I promise you on this one... separate is best. Also don't give layer feed until they are actually laying, it usually has 4% calcium which is too much for non-layers.

Good luck.

5. ChickChick16

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    they are all laying... 3 days and a dozen eggs between 8 birds.
    seem to be quite happy .. just want to make sure i do it right... the reds i have came from a bad situation and acted like they were starved for the first few days, but seem to be slowing down on "scarfing" the food.... thank you

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed is nutritionally complete feed, with enough calcium for eggshell production. You shouldn't need to have oyster shell in addition to layer feed.
    If you feed extras, treats, scratch grains, or free range then you may want to consider switching to a higher protein feed like a grower or all flock. Then you would absolutely need crushed oyster shell, offered separately.

1 person likes this.
  7. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Great information! I've been thinking about this too. My chicks are about 8 weeks old (5 pullets and 11 roosters) and the man at the feed store said I needed to feed them chick starter until about 15 weeks old. I guess then it will be regular chicken scratch until the girls start laying. I've been giving them ground up egg shells but they don't seem to care for them. My chicks are all free-range now but I'm thinking about putting the girls in a chicken trailer when the roosters hormones kick in or at least until at least 10 go into the freezer this fall. For now they only battle each other and ignore the ladies.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Scratch is not 'feed', it's a supplement or treat. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. If you can't get a grower, all flock, flock raiser, or unmedicated starter; you can feed them turkey or game bird feed.

9. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    there's no right or wrong with this

since either way it will ended up in the same place anyway

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  10. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Just for ease of providing it to the flock, I'd just keep them separate and offer it free-choice.

The chickens will eat when they want and pick up the oyster shell when they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by