Feed!

chickenwisper16

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2016
Hello friends,
What do you feed your girls/guys, I purchase at TSC 50lb bag of chicken feed which in price has gone up tremendously. Looking for ideas on how to save some money !

Thank you!!

I second the price on the insane feed prices..my co op went up 4 bucks on layer feed from last year. And chick starter has gone up at rural king. My first suggestion is shop around. Prices vary by store And area. Small Town stores charge the most. Some people ferment food here. Also make sure you're not feeding more than they need, some people do and that will contribute to cost. I personally also feed oats to my girls, they're in the horse side of rural king (some may disagree, I don't care). Also eat or give away anyone who isn't doing their job.

Hello friends,
What do you feed your girls/guys, I purchase at TSC 50lb bag of chicken feed which in price has gone up tremendously. Looking for ideas on how to save some money !

Thank you!!
The same feed I've been feeding for years. The price hasn't gone up enough for me to worry about it. Now the grocery store prices are worrying me.

How many chickens do you have and what do you keep chickens for?

Went and bought food today and the price was up $2. :thI buy Doumer 16% layer. Here that is the best cheapest option.
Whoah dumor isn't the cheapest feed in normal circumstances. I drive an hour to get my feed. I've been buying bulk lately..and I have turkeys. Meat bird crumbles is 20...my wallet cries when I go to grab cash...we play tug of war. It asks me why I'm so mean..

I have a family feed store that sells to me cheaper than the local mill the feed comes from.

Prices ARE up. I paid $12.55/50# for layer, and $16.10/50# for a 24% protein game bird mix on 05/30/22. When I started keeping birds 26 months ago, the layer was around $9.70, and the game bird somewhere in the $11.85 range.

Shop around. If your flock is big enough that it won't go bad, see if theres a 500# discount or a cash discount.

Whoah dumor isn't the cheapest feed in normal circumstances. I drive an hour to get my feed. I've been buying bulk lately..and I have turkeys. Meat bird crumbles is 20...my wallet cries when I go to grab cash...we play tug of war. It asks me why I'm so mean..
Most of the feed here is priced between $25-$29, sometimes over $30. Dumor was $14 a bag and now is $19... plus tax....

I have a family feed store that sells to me cheaper than the local mill the feed comes from.

Prices ARE up. I paid $12.55/50# for layer, and $16.10/50# for a 24% protein game bird mix on 05/30/22. When I started keeping birds 26 months ago, the layer was around $9.70, and the game bird somewhere in the $11.85 range.

Shop around. If your flock is big enough that it won't go bad, see if theres a 500# discount or a cash discount.
I envy those prices😳

I envy those prices😳
Yes, well, economically depressed area - can only sell eggs $3/doz around here, can't compete on selling chicken flesh at all. Not when mechanically seperated Cx are available at $0.99/lb on special and $1.19/lb otherwise.

I'm surrounded by commercial scale family chicken farms (you know, with the big metal quonset hut looking buildings with the fans on one end) which have all folded - the losses were too great - but the local mill still produces and I benefit from their scale. Wayne Farms, Tyson Food, ConAgra all have big operations within an hour's drive or so.

Back
Top Bottom