Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by YumaJohnny, May 7, 2009.

1. YumaJohnny

YumaJohnny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Yuma
    My chicks are 3 weeks old today. I have them on chick starter? How long do I keep them on this feed?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think up to 10 weeks,
    then grower until they lay,
    then layer pellets

But I'm sure other people have had success doing it differently so you'll probably get several suggestions

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I keep my chicks on chick starter until they are 8 weeks old then I mix in the chick grower gradually. Then at 18 weeks I gradually change them to layer pellets. Hope this helps.

4. *GEL*

*GEL* Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Indiana
    I am getting ready to intergrate 2 9 week old chickies in with my 2 hens that are over a year old - how do I seperate the food??? Or keep the little ones from eating the laying mash, or the big ones from eating the grower?? [​IMG] Any suggestions?

5. ontheprairie

ontheprairie New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Last spring was the first time I ever had chicks. I never did the starter feed or the water suppliment. I gave them oatmeal at the beginning and then slowly went over to regular feed. Never did starter, grower, or layer ration. They all started laying at 6 months and have been very healthy. One just hatched 6 chicks and is taking care of them herself.

6. YumaJohnny

YumaJohnny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Yuma
    thanks for the great info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by