Feed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Ok, so im heading to the feed store, and wanted to know what to get my ducks, ive had them for about a 10 months, but ive only been giving them cracked corn, and i know thats a no no, but we just got some extra money, and i want to get the right stuff, should i get cracked corn crumble and grit, then mix it together, and then oystershell on the side, they arent laying yet, but i think they are close, the muscovies are starting to fly...so is that good? tell me what i should get that isnt pricey and that is at every feed store! Thank you!!

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Get a grower/developer feed with 17% protein. Oyster shell on the side. You don't need grit, if they are free ranging and the ground is not covered in snow or frozen. Shouldn't be an issue in Florida. You can offer grit on the side if they cannot get it in naturally.

3. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    well, they are full grown, and i dont need crumble?

4. katharinad

They make it in crumble and pellet form, but your feed store may only carry one. It's the same anyway. They also mix in a lot of nutrients in that are needed. Not sure why they call it grower/developer, because it is also for full grown ducks. They also have layer mixes, but they are not good for the males, and are essentially the same as the grower/developer mix only it contain oyster shell in it. I guess you are looking for full grains, and they never have enough protein content.

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    10 months and not laying? What!?!?

6. katharinad

They are malnourished, so that is no wonder at all.

7. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    no, my Pekin male is 10 months, but the Muscovy are only 2 months, i mean i still gave them starter so they could have protein when young, but i don't like it when people are straight through and rude like that by just saying no wonder they are malnourished, i mean i know they are but i think that is crude and rude to just blurt it out, i was looking for help not comments are rude remarks, i know im only 13, but still i know when people are being rude and not laying it down lightly, im just saying...

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Big Dreamer.. its unfortunate that some people will make comment without knowing all the details. At thirteen its hard to know exactly what people need to know in order to help you and instead of asking further questions they just write what ever comes to mind at the time. So maybe when you next have a question you could try to word things a little different and then people wont say offensive things.

OK..so we now know that your 10 month old pekin drake has not laid an egg- for obvious reason so lets get down to what is the best feed for all three of your ducks. Different feed stores will carry different brands- most will have more or less the same nutritional elements but it is important to find the right one. Purina flock raiser or Dumor poultry grower finisher would be ok to buy now- and when they muscovies are over 18 weeks or so you can change to something like layena or a layers pellet.

The starter type feeds have higher protein levels, which your ducks dont need anymore- so stay away from anything over 17- 18% protein. Game bird feeds are often as high as 25- 26% protein so stay well away from anything like that as well.

9. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    well i just got them some mallard pellets, with 20% protein and then i mixed cracked corn into it...so i guess thats gotta work for a while, i put the cracked corn in to lower the protein, does that work, and this time i just want info no comments, is that more discriptive?

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Birds need a minimum amount of protein, feed is not cheap, and more protein it contains the more it costs.
    There is no shortcuts.

If you can not afford to feed birds properly you shouldn't keep them.

They can not rely on occasional "extra money" to be fed properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by