Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Weatherby93, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Weatherby93

Weatherby93 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    I get my chicks Saturday and am confused on feed. I have many different options but would like to know from an experienced chicken farmer on the best feed to give my chicks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chick Starter.
    Your local feed store will have it.
    Local Tractor Supply Company store will have it.

You'll have a choice as to whether to buy medicated or non medicated. Most folks feed the medicated for at least a bag to two. It's pretty awful to lose your little flock to disease. After that, their immunity systems will be up to par.

3. Weatherby93

Jan 9, 2011
    So D&B should have it then. Coolness thank u any other advice is always welcome

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Fred's Hens pretty much said it all. Other than chick starter, chicks will pig out on cooked eggs and/or rice, but do feed plenty of chick starter.

5. Weatherby93

Jan 9, 2011
    Now I was told too keep em warm heat lamp and cardboard box right. Sry I'm the son of a cattle rancher dad and I don't know much on chickens, only on our cattle

6. sklr112

sklr112 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    That will work as long as the box is large enough. Keep the temp in the box at 95degrees F for the first week. After that, reduce by 5 degrees each week.

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Best to have a area away from the heat lamp, so if the chicks get too hot they can cool off. Avoid overcrowding.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Make sure they have plenty of clean water too! But make sure it's not in something they can fall into. Your feed store should have "chick waterers" too. [​IMG]

9. Weatherby93

Jan 9, 2011
    Found a box I'm going to use that 2 more days. This should be fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by