Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenGirl3, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm getting a new bird to my little flock, Black Australorp, and I have been feeding my bird scratch mixed with laying feed. I know now that was a very bad choice, since scratch is only for a treat, and your birds get fat. I was wondering what feed I should feed them like...... just Laying feed or a mix of Laying feed and chick start (heard it has more grit). I really need to go to the feed store I ran out of laying feed. My chics are hungary for feed [​IMG] ! I've fed them bread and rice ever since it ran out (5 days ago) , they love rice [​IMG] !

Thanks Everyone

2. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I read here that scratch made them fat too, so I feed half scratch and half layer pellets mixed during the winter to keep them warm. Seems to be working, they are laying pretty well and are all healthy.

3. ChickenGirl3

Nov 27, 2010
    Quote:I did that for a while but I've been feeding them that ever since I've gotten them(2 months ago) I don't want them to get fat. My Dominique is already fat, a little. What do you feed you hens in the spring and summer?

4. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I give them laying pellets (so they dont waste feed) and either let them free range or give them greens and kitchen scraps. Oh, I also give them sweet cob that I put in a large dog dish, pour boiling water over and let steep...their morning hot cereal, they love it on very cold mornings...
    [​IMG]

5. ChickenGirl3

Nov 27, 2010
    Quote:Cute, I give my chickens oatmeal love it but gives them diarrhea [​IMG] !

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Fat hens can cause laying problems, we should try to keep our hens especially at a good weight without excess fat to ensure they have no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by