feed.

NorthestGeorgia14

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 14, 2011
Rome Ga
Ok so i'm getting 16 old english bantams soon. And want to know how much would be the feed.I get 30 dollars a month do you think that be enough money to feed them..

The feed is ( 10.00 dollars i was thinking ever 2 weeks buy a new bag so at the end of the month i would have 10 dollars to do whatever .

You can start with a #25 lbs bag of medicated chick feed to start and that will last about a month or so for 20 kids. Then buy a #50 lbs. of the medicated until they are ready to lay eggs at 20+ weeks old. The #50 lbs bag is around or just under $15.00 You can do it , good luck.

Last edited:
If I understand you question, you're asking can you feed 16 hens on $30? I feed 8 hens and a rooster on a fifty pound bag of layer at $12 and it has lasted me a month and a half so far. I have about half of the bag left, so I'm feeding 50 lbs in 3 months for 7 hens a rooster. Then there's scratch which I feed very little of and the treats. So I would say yes you can.

I seem to be going through alot of feed with my newly aquired hens (5 of them all together). I purchased a 50 lb bag of chick starter alittle over two weeks ago and I am about half way through it. There is alot of waste right now as I aam trying to get the feeder issue resolved. Started with a cheap $3.00 feeder from the feed store and the hens kept knocking it over and roosting on it while the others tried to eat.

Then I tried a homemade pvc feeder (1-1/2") with a sweep on the end and a piece of pvc cut lengthways attached to it. Same problem - hens standing on it and alot hitting the ground.

I have just modified the pvc feeder and removed the sweep and added 45 degree bends and placed on the bottom a cut out plastic pail that was originally a galllon pail. I removed about an inch of the bottom of the pail and secured in to the pvc coming off the last 45. I also drilled holes in the last piece of pipe (4 of them - opposite each other) so as the hens eat, feed will continue to fall down into the cut out bottom of the pail.

So far this seems to have worked as there is no waste as of yet.

What can I do to improve on this feeding method?

Back
Top Bottom