Feedback from Dorking, Speckled Sussex, and Faverolle owners?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Iceblink, May 11, 2008.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi All,

I am planning my next flock and am considering Salmon Faverolles, Speckled Sussex, Dorkings, Brahmas (not sure which color) and Delawares.

My DH has grudgingly agreed to 5, and I have other candidates, but I am having a hard time finding much about the first 3 breeds.

Here is what I would like to know:
    1) Are they quiet? (Relatively)
    2) Do they have easy personalities?
    3) At what age do they start laying, and how often?
    4) Do they lay through the winter?
    5) Do they lay for a long time or start out good and peter off?
    6) Do they go broody often?

And one question specific to Brahmas, I've read that they are slow to mature, have you found that to be true? When did yours start laying?

Anything else you can tell me about them would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Amy

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Hi! I know each bird has a different personality, and it will vary greatly, but I do own 1 SS pullet. She is the most spoiled of all mine. My 9yo DD would hold her nonstop, and now she doesn't walk around much. Must be picked up to put in coop, take out to free range, to come inside, etc. She is the best to hold, as she will sit there and look at you and chirp, like she knows she's getting spoiled. She is very loud if you don't pay attention to her, her chirp echos through the house!!! But, once you talk to her, she is quiet. I would definetly get more in the future!!!

Oh, about the Brahmas, but I have a dark roo, and he is a PITA! He is fun to watch, but very willful!!! Doesn't like to be held, or cuddled, or touched in general. Kinda sad, since he is a beautiful guy. He still isn't fully feathered, and he is now almost 8 weeks. Good luck with your choice!!! Steph

Here's my girl:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I can tell you this: True Dorkings have five toes and are reputed to originate with the Romans, as they wrote about them.

They are all old world breeds, the Faverolle being the newest, I believe.

I've never raised any of them, though, so I'll get my coat now, shut up and listen.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have only Dorkings off that list. The Dorkings lay very well, mine lay at least every other day, most often an egg a day. Dorkings are notorious for laying through winter. Mine have laid through winter and are still laying. Dorkings have a tendency to go broody, especially once it warms up. My three hens are very quiet. I didn't raise mine, so I can't tell you what age they begin laying. Dorkings usually have a calm agreeable personality. Mine are calm, but because they weren't handled when they were young are still a little timid. My Dorking rooster is quite calm and agreeable himself, never ever showed me or any other human any type of aggression. The roosters still crow though, not quite as long and loud as other breeds but they still crow. Dorkings are good birds, I have enjoyed mine.

-Kim

5. Iceblink

Thanks for everyones help so far. I'm sorry, I should have said in my origional post that I will only be getting hens, so crowing roosters is a non issue.

Wolf-Kim, how do your Dorkings get along with your other chickens?

Love-my-wolves, she is very cute, I really think that SS are under-appreciated for their beauty.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This will not be terribly useful to you, but I have 10 speckled sussex chicks that are now a week and a half old, and they are definitely the calmest of the chicks (I also have golden campines and buff chanteclers). They will spook same as the rest if I wave a feed bucket over the brooder or whatever, but almost immediately they realize, Oh, nothing bad actually happened, and calm right down. And they are much more resigned to being held. Not that the others are nutcases or anything, just that the sussex are particularly levelheaded.

I have no idea how temperament at 1.5 weeks correlates to adult temperament though; ask me in a few months [​IMG]

Pat

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    We have Buff Brahmas they are very quiet & great foregers!

Ours were very friendly (held them alot during brooding)
    my dd carries 1 around all the time!

we also have batam Brahmas & as soon I sit to feed them treats will jump on my lap!

8. Iceblink

RChicks- at what age did your Brahmas start laying, and how often do they lay?

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have 4 speckled sussex pullets that are 11 weeks, so I can tell you about personality, but not about laying as of yet. These 4 girls are my most curious and are by far the best foragers. They are of the first to come up to me when I go out in the yard. I don't really hold any of my chickens, but they do enjoy being petted and will hop up on my lap when I sit down. Like all my other chickens, they put themselves to roost in the coop each night & I just come by to close the pop door and adjust the windows.
    So, they are certainly not timid, but like interaction and will be the first to inspect something new or try a new treat.
    Hope that helps.

10. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I have 2 SS pullets, 3 weeks old. One loves to be held and is very quiet about it. The other screams bloody murder if I try to pick her up and keeps squawking until I put her down. They're very different in maturity too. The quiet one is very feathered out with a beautiful tail already. The other is about 1/3 the size of her sister and has very few big girl feathers. Is this unusual?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by