Feedback on first-time, homemade coop pretty please?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by soldieratheart, Sep 21, 2009.

1. soldieratheart

soldieratheart Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Coopertown, TN
    I have my very first chicks who are 3 weeks old now and have just about finished their coop. Please help me make sure it will work well, and if you could all suggest ways (EASY ways lo) to improve it, I would appreciate it. Thanks so much!

By the way, the bottom wired-in portion has a door for access into a big future yard. The bottom of the wire base also has the poultry fencing stretched across to prevent critters from digging in. And the windows are screened and all have props to keep them open if desired. Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any and all input on this!

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Great job on the coop, it looks wonderful !!!!![​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good job! What kind of birds ya gonna have in it?

4. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I like it. Looks like it should work well for you. Looks like you have two pieces ow wood to put your prop post between on the top but don't see anything on the bottom, if you hit the prop post with your elbow the botom will kick out and it will fall on your head. If you cut a small notch the size of the board about 1/4" deep it will be just enough to keep it from being knocked out. Sorry for the comment but I am a construction safety professional and can't help it. Really good job.
    !

5. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Nice job! Is the top part of the coop where your birds will sleep predator proof?

6. scott in ohio

scott in ohio Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    Well done mate. Bit of Beverly Hills eh? Does that thing collect the eggs, feed, and water also? You'll probably even clean that once a week. Chickens like bugs, worms, scratch, a place to sit and water. Simple as that. We all appreciate a fantastic coop, but they don't. First thing they'll do is crap on top of it once they get the lay of they land. Kudos on a beautiful coop.

7. soldieratheart

soldieratheart Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Coopertown, TN
    Thanks for all the ncouragement so far!

As far as the post supporting the roof panels... they have hinges on the bottom attaching them to the floor. So the posts fold back inside the coop when the roof panels are down. Each post has a rounded-edge L-bracket to support it's free (top) end when the panels are closed.

Yes, the hatch inside has a cap so that the coop interior can be kept closed, or - in summer, for example - left open at night. The register covers can be open or closed as well, as can the windows.

I guess my concerns so far are:

- not much head room, the chickens will have to learn to roost on the pole without knocking themselves silly against the roof

- the coop being predator-safe if I leave the hatch open at night- the wire is tightly stretched, super-stapled poultry netting.

- the duct covers will ventilate the coop, but doesn't it technically put the chickens on a cross-draft when they are on the pole? Due to the limited inside height I just can't get around that, and haven't thought of a different way to accomodate both roosting and ventilation.

Right now I have 5 male White Rocks, 5 straight run Buff Orpingtons, and 5 straight run Speckled Sussex. All the males will be processed for meat around 12-16 weeks. The hens will become our pet layers in that coop. So for a few weeks it may be a bit cramped, but the hens should have plenty of room once the boys are gone. (I MAY keep ONE roo if he is really special).

I already know that I will find or build a bigger coop at some point, but for now and the next year this one will have to do. Do you think it will be okay with the concerns listed above?

I am so glad you think it looks good so far! My kids (4 & 6) helped with the painting and are tickled as well!

8. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Again good job, glad to know the posts are safe. Good luck. Keep one roo his crowing will make you smile. I love to hear mine.

9. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    awesome coop...........on my son's coop, we used the hardware cloth close to the ground--the majority we asked on BYC said it is more predator safe. We did use the chicken wire(doubled and tripled) higher on the coop--ours is more a walk in style coop attached as a lean too on our horse barn.,......ANyway, your coop looks TERRIFIC. Your chickens will LOVE it............Be PROUD........chickens are a great family project!!! Paul

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Awesome coop. and beautiful design. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by