feedback on possible coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michelle59, Mar 31, 2012.

1. michelle59

michelle59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    A friend gave me a very large plastic Remington type heavy duty dog crate with lots of side vents and back vents. Can I sit this on a pallet or cement bloclks for a coop, also how could I fashion a roost in there and what could I use for nesting boxess (3 hens will live in this). I would need to put a high fence with a gate to get in , thoughts. Thanks!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Pictures would help. or a link to other pictures.

I used covered cat litter boxes for my first nest boxes, you would need only one, but I suggest two.

As for a roost, I need to see it to help.

As for putting it on concrete, I would rather you make a pull out try for it with a pallet that screws in. (not the pull out try part the bottom) so if some creature tips the thing over the bottom is still covered.

3. michelle59

michelle59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    sorry tried to cut and paste a similar picture of the crate and could not. Crate has a bottom and a removable tray. Crate would sit on pallet somehow secure or on concrete pavers. Then a small run enclosed with cover. That is the best I can do. Thanks!

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

for roost you can remove every other board on a narrow board pallet -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by