feeder and waterer questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HSerChickLady, Apr 22, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    My girls will arrive this week and i had purchased the small chick feeder with the holes for their heads in both the Qt jar version and the long trough version. But now that i'm setting up my brooder i'm not sure i want either. I'll have 17 chicks coming and i think the Qt jar version with only 8 holes might be too small. But the long trough type is really taking up a lot of space in the stock tank. Last year i just used a standard 7 pound feeder that i later moved outside to the coop and it worked well. Nobody was ever crowded out and i never had a squabble over the food. I was also wondering how well they'd be able to find the feed at first since it's less visible in the type with the head holes? Which type do you think is going to be better?

Then i have a similar problem with the waterer. I got the Qt jar type but it seams like it would be very easy for them to tip over (it's very wobbly) and like there would be competition for water. Last year i used a 1 gallon waterer and only filled it half full at a time. Again nobody was ever crowded out or had to fight for what they needed. Which waterer do you think i should use?

Thanks for the help!

2. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    My 11 chicks only use half of their feeder. I think I have the same one as you. They have yet to tip the waterer. At first they were just too small. Now at 6 days old I have the waterer on a landscaping brick so they don't get as much shaving in it. It is nice and level. By the time you fill it then turn it over it is not so top heavy as to tip easily if it is basically level......at least this is what I'm finding with my first ever chicks. Maybe people with more experience have different opinions....I wouldn't doubt it since my experience is very, very limited lol.

3. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I was wondering if they would be more stable when filled up. Good to know that's been your experience. I plan to put their things up on bricks too after they grow a bit. That helped so much last year with keeping their containers free of shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by