feeder and waterer questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HSerChickLady, Apr 22, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    My ducklings will arrive this week and i'm having second thoughts about their feed and water set ups. I got the feeder that is the Qt jar with the little head holes at the bottom. But i was wondering if 8 holes is enough room for 10 ducklings? I also wonder how easily they'll be able to find the feed? Would i be better off with a regular full sized feeder (i have a 7 lb feeder on hand)?

I got the same style waterer because everything i read said that i needed that size to keep them from getting into trouble with their water. But it seams like it would get tipped over very easily-it's quite wobbly. It also doesn't seam like there'd be enough room for everyone. Would i be better off with a 1 gallon waterer filled half full (i also have one of these on hand)? I have glass aquarium stones i could put in the tray on the bigger waterer to keep them out of it if you think that's something i should do as well?

This is my first batch of ducks so i'm not sure what to do entirely. Thanks a ton for the help!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could you upload photo's of what you have?

My reservation about the aquarium stones (I like the basic idea) is that the ducklings, being silly ducklings, might fill up on them. Big trouble there.

I had two little feeders that looked like flying saucers, for my fifteen runner babies, and it worked out fine, since they had water and food available 24/7, there was no mad dash to the feeders.

Have you set up the waterer with water in it? I started with two quart sized waterers and they were always stable enough.

3. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Here are links to what i have:

Little feeder
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/harris-farms-baby-chick-feeder-for-quart-jar-2106331

Little Waterer
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/harris-farms-screw-on-fount-base-1-qt--2167117

Bigger Feeder
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/harris-farms-poly-hanging-feeder-for-5-15-birds-7-lb--2160042

Bigger Waterer
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/harris-farms-poultry-drinker-1-gal--2167654

Aquarium Stones
    I actually can't find these now. But they were about an inch in diameter, all glass.

I haven't set up the waterer yet. I was going to wait till they arrive and then fill it but i could fill it and try it out tomorrow.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I tested out everything before the ducklings arrived, and it helped.

Looks like you are using standard issue items, just be sure to watch the ducklings closely whenever you introduce something new to them. I would watch at least 20 minutes after doing anything different in the brooder. But then, I am very cautious with ducklings. They can be such nutballs.

5. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    I have the same waterer//feeder for my ducklings, they are 4weeks now.
    I would say don't put stones in because ducks will swallow and eat anything at any age.... they're curious little birds.
    I lean the water up against the side of the plastic clothing tub I've been keeping them in... to catch the spillage I put a Mrs. Smith's pie tin underneath it! IT CATCHES THE WATER AMAZINGLY WELL---best thing i ever did i tried everything to prevent drowning!!!
    So you can go out and by yourself a pie and feel good about it, haha!!! It works!!!!
    Post pictures of your ducklings when they come!!!! I wanna see tthem!!!!!!!!

6. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    For 10 ducklings you definitely want to use the bigger waterer and feeder. You want to give them plenty of room so everyone can eat and drink at the same time. You can put regular size marbles in the waterer basin to help keep them out of it. The marbles are too big to swallow and they really wont be in there very long. You will be surprised how quickly the ducklings grow. I used a ready made feeder for my first group of five ducklings but my second group I have just used ceramic ramekins. I have goslings in this group and they eat a lot of food and the dishes are easier for everyone to eat out of. There are 3 ducklings and 2 goslings and I refill their one gallon waterer 3 times a day. The are 2/3 weeks old and also have a face wash bowl to dip their heads into. I used a Costco size sour cream container and cut out half the lid.
    They are so much fun even with all the cleaning. I will be sad when they move outside.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are ramekins those custard cups?

8. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Thanks everyone. I'll do some expirementing today and see what i think will work better. I'm guessing we'll end up with the bigger feeder and waterer in the end. Today is hatch day at the hatchery i ordered from so barring any delay from our snow storm they should be here tomorrow or wednesday. I'll see if the kids can round up their marbles too if we need them for the waterer.

9. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have the same waterers but I use the long feeder in the brooder and a 1 gallon in the coop. I have the little waterer in the brooder and the 1 gallon in the coop. I have had no issues. Sure they make things wet but its to be expected. I have my waterer in the brooder on top of an upside down plastic plate and in the coop the waterer and feeder are top of a piece of plywood.

As for if the feeder is big enough, probubly not. I mean sure they'll all get food at some point but if your wanting them all to eat at the same time I would go with the long feeder. Plus with the 1 quart feeder you'll be refilling it alot.

10. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I didnt use marbles with my first batch of ducklings and they were fine. I did put marbles in the water tray with my second batch but took them out by day two because they were in the way. The ducklings couldnt get their to the water good enough. Personally I will not do marbles again they just get in the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by