Feeder and waterer

michaelapop127

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2016
Adams Massachusetts
Hello! I have 6 RSL pullets that are about a month old. They are still being brooded inside in a large dog crate. They still have ample amount of room in the crate but they have outgrown their waterer/feeder or more making it their perches/bathroom and just knocking it over. I am using a regular small poultry waterer wig the screw on mason jar, this is propped up on a brick and they perch on top. I use a medium ceramic planter dish with a TALL mason jar on top filled with feed and I just lift the jar up to release the feed when it gets low. This is also up on a brick to keep the shavings and waste out. They fly up on it and knock it over every day. SO my question is should I just switch to the large waterer and feeder even though when they go out in the coop I am going to be using the pvc pipe feeder and hanging the waterer. Im afraid this is going to take up most of the room in the brooder. They will be going outisde soo. I just don't know what to do in the mean time!!

Sounds like it is time to move them out to the coop now. At 4 weeks of age they will be happier with more space, and if you provide an area with some supplemental heat so that they can warm up if they want to they should be fine. If you use a heat lamp be sure to secure it with at least two non-plastic hangers attached separately to the lamp - young birds jump around a lot and knock into things and fire can be a risk with inadequately secured heat sources.

Depends on how early you let them out, and how late they stay out. They will neither eat nor drink after dark, so if you are early risers and lock them up at dusk, they will not need inside food or water. If you want to sleep in some, or put them up earlier in the evening, you might want indoor supplies. Keep them closed inside the coop for the first few days until they know where they are to sleep. Also, after you do start letting them out, make sure they put themselves to bed the first few nights - sometimes they can get "stuck" in the pen.

Back
Top Bottom