Feeder choices - - found rooster with head stuck today :-(

Cluckabuck

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 24, 2013
This is awful; but I found our rooster dead today and it looked like he got his head stuck in the feeder. It's one of those "regular" metal chicken feeders, we bought it at TSC months ago. This is the first time I've encountered anything like this. I feel awful and want to change immediately to another type of feeder.

I'm just curious if anyone has encountered this before - and wanted to sound the alarm about it.

sad.png

So sorry about your rooster, must have been tough finding him that way. Was it one of those long feeders with holes in it or some type of hanging feeder?

Thanks. It is a hanging metal feeder with 3 adjustment options so I tightened it up a bit. I think I will change to another type of feeder to make sure nothing like this happens again.

My husband just made this for me, it is to keep pests out of your chicken feed, but it might be a good option for you as well. They open it by stepping on the peddle, it will take them a could days to figure it out. We set a rock on the peddle for a couple day to get them used to walking up to it for food, then you move the rock and they walk up to it on their own and open it.

I have never had such a problem as this before but a cut comb has happened to me before but I have been using metal feeders for over 40 years now and one of the original one's I still use could you put up a photo of the feeder you were using that caused this problem .....

Well that is a nifty idea your hubby made tankgirl88. I do think it was just a freak thing.

Thanks! I saw one online for about $70...but if I can find a way to get something cheaper, or make it cheaper I will(or my husband will in this case)! It cost $20 to make for us,but we have a wood shop complete with saws and such. Hopefully nothing like this ever happens to you again, poor Roo!

Back
Top Bottom