Feeder Insect Care

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
Most of us reptile owners have been through hundreds (or thousands) of feeder crickets.

But, when I first started buying feeder crickets I found that they died the next day... Turns out I was doing a lot of stuff wrong. Soo here’s a few tips to keep your feeders alive longer!!

Things you will need:
- A plastic container with a lid (I’ll link the one I have in a little bit)
- Pine (!!!) shavings
- cotton balls
- paper egg cartons
- Fish flakes
- fruits and veggies
- and of course, your feeder crickets!

Here’s what I use as a setup for my feeders:
A simple plastic tote with air hole cut in the lid. Start by putting a few pine shavings in the bottom of your container (I promise you this basically eliminates the smell of crickets). Then place the paper egg cartons sporadically around (this gives your crickets plenty of space to hide - as crickets tend to be canibalistic). Moisten a few cotton balls for a water source (crickets tend to drown if they have access to standing water). Sprinkle some fish flakes all around so that they can all have a chance to eat some. Lastly, put some fruit or veggie pieces in and put your crickets into the container.

The size of the container doesn’t matter as much, but it’s best to go wide rather than tall.

Pics:
ACBB3DB8-05A3-4C8C-A16D-B8DD3B4C4ECB.jpeg
96FB9B02-B2D1-4311-A468-970B64249C91.jpeg
29161F8F-E8EB-49FC-B1A7-FAE1BB81DF5A.jpeg
B458C432-B856-4247-A1C2-4692D212460B.jpeg
92BAB389-E564-4B87-AA3E-88FC535B2205.jpeg

ETA - Feel free to share your setups for ANY of your feeder insects! :wee

Last edited:
I do dubia roaches. They’re so easy to care for. Just have to feed them moisture based fresh foods like lettuce and roach chow.

I have mine in a huge storage bin with holes drilled all over

I do dubia roaches. They’re so easy to care for. Just have to feed them moisture based fresh foods like lettuce and roach chow.

I have mine in a huge storage bin with holes drilled all over
I’ve thought about dubia roaches. What kind of bedding do you use?

Back
Top Bottom