Feeder for Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jomoncon, Oct 30, 2010.

1. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I've had my 8 RIR chicks are about 2 weeks old. I'm using the below type feeder that holds 1 quart:
    [​IMG]

These chicks are going through a quart of feed in about 2 days - until I realized that most of it is ending up on the floor of the brooder. They are just sticking their little heads in the holes & shaking away, sending so much feed flying! I tried covering half of each opening with tape, but so much wood shavings got in the holes that they could get to the feed.

What's the best type of feeder for young chicks that will not let them fling it all around?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I used the same kind. If they're hungry enough, they'll scratch around in the shavings and eat what they've flung around. That's what chickens do.

3. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I used the same feeder, but with mash instead of crumbles. They did waste quite a bit. I raised mine up on a board and that seemed to help a bit, especially keeping the shavings out. Maybe someone more experienced will have an answer. This is my first time with chicks too. They are almost 7 weeks now and using a big girl feeder.

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I decided to raise the feeder. I poked 2 holes at opposite sides near the top. I ran a string through both holes & ties it into a loop. This I hung from the top of the brooder. I can also shorten the string as the chicks grow taller. This higher feeder seems to be helping. Plus, I have 2 chicks who keep trying to stand on the feed holes. With the feeder hanging on a string, it's very movable and they cannot get up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by