1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeder For Chicks Only

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greenhorn, Nov 11, 2011.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Millington, MI
    Looking for a feeder that only chicks and small birds can fit their heads into. getting ready to put my broiler chicks in with the laying hens and want to keep the hens out of the small birds feed. Eventually will separate the birds but don't have space right now.

Any suggestions besides separating the birds?

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Can you partition a section of your coop off?

You can make a box to put in the coop. Make the door small enough for the chicks to get through, but no big hens. Keep their food IN the box. It also serves as a 'safe zone' for the chicks.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

I would put a bowl full of food that a 5 gallon bucket can fit over it with a huge cinder block on top. Cut holes in it minimum 4 holes the size your chicks will fit through with a jigsaw and be sure to file the edges smooth and now the kids can get in there and eat without threat from the big girls hurting them or eating the kids food.

4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:This sounds like a good idea.

I have no idea how you'd make something that lil chick beaks can get in to, but not big chick beaks (seems my chickens are pretty clever)

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicks in with adult layer hens = hen snacks....

It won't hurt your layers to eat chick feed.

6. greenhorn

Mar 18, 2009
    Millington, MI
    Quote:I know it's just that the eggs don't come out as tasty.

7. greenhorn

Mar 18, 2009
    Millington, MI
    Quote:Thanks for the idea clairbean.

This might actually work. I could fence off part of the coop cut a hole in it small enough that the large birds can't get through and frame it in so no birds can get hurt. They could share the same run if they are brave enough to play with the bigger birds.

Have a new batch of broiler chicks coming Tuesday so the bigger chicks have to go the big coop one way or the other.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by