Feeder From Scrap Plywood

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by geareduplyn, Dec 14, 2008.

1. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Here's a feeder that can be made from scrap plywood. In this instance it is 1/2" that was picked up at a construction site. This particular size will hold about 15 lbs of feed

[​IMG]

In this veiw I have drawn on the outside what the inside parts look like. I've refined these so there is little or no waste. Easily constructed with basic tablesaw techniques.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    looks good, have you tried it out?

3. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Started using this type of feeder 40+ years ago. The original was based on the Cafeteria Feeders I was manufacturing for the Squab Breeders.

4. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Thanks ,
    my hubby just decided he wants to build a feeder to go with the coop he's building.Yours looks like just the thing.
    Do you make your own waterers?

5. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I am going to be building some feeders in the near future. I will try to do a step by step photo how to with dimensions. My waterers are not homemade. On individual pens I use hooded galvanized waterers to better keep the water clean. On my multiple breeding pen setups I us the constant drip system.

6. dakotasnake

dakotasnake Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    i made a somewhat simular feeder out of plywood. its dbl sided to feed on either end and holds 120# of layer feed, i only need to fill it every 14 - 18 daze during the winter.

7. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:The biggest feeder of this type I build is 8'X2'X4' high. It will hold just a bit over 1 ton of alfalfa pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by