1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeder goldfish from the State Fair

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by muscovy94, Oct 12, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    HEy everyone I took my daughter to the MS state fair yesterday and she won 5 goldfish feeder fish. SHe loves them. I read somewhere that they can get to be a whole foot long! How long does it take for them to get that big?

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    [​IMG] Years

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    if they live that long... I never had luck with fish from the fair... my goldfish are kept in horse troughs and are doing grat and getting big... mine are 2 years old and about 4 inches

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    They won't grow that big in a tank. The size of their enclosure governs the growth.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Yep, years... When I was little, I won a goldfish at the local fair. We put him in my Mom's 55 gallon tank with all her fancy fish. He lived for close to 8 or nine years! At that point he was still only about 7" long... Poor thing died and we all felt bad [​IMG] Right now we currently have 2 in a smaller tank, and have had the oldest one for 2 years. He's only about 3" long... Good luck!

6. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    do they need the oxygen bubble thing or do they just need a big enclosure with a filter?

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thats not true, they will grow but not like normal gold fish not as large.

I thought they outlawed gold fish as prizes at the fairs? [​IMG]

8. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    My son has a five yo "feeder" goldfish that he won as a fair prize. Jerry (the fish) is about six inches long and has a 20 gallon tank all to himself. The main thing is to have a good filtration system. Goldfish are nasty dirty!

9. buck-wild-chick

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Quote:Thats not true, they will grow but not like normal gold fish not as large.

I thought they outlawed gold fish as prizes at the fairs? [​IMG]

Depends on the state laws.

10. buck-wild-chick

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    My aunt said her gold fish lived a really long time.When he died,he could barely fit in a shoe box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by