Feeder goldfish

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickieBooBoo, Dec 23, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Feeder goldfishI need a Christmas present for my birds, last spring I had some left over frozen minnows from ice-fishing and they really liked those. Do you think they would like feeder goldfish? Are they safe to feed to ducks? I'm thinking the chickens might like them too, can anyone see a problem?

2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

i fed my ducklings feeder goldfish and nothing happeed except a happy duckling lol

3. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    pekinduck<3er :

i fed my ducklings feeder goldfish and nothing happeed except a happy duckling lol

well thats definantly the reaction I'm looking for! Thanks!​

4. pekinduck<3er

ur welcome hope they love what u give them have a merry christmas!!! [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    pekinduck<3er :

ur welcome hope they love what u give them have a merry christmas!!! [​IMG]

yes, I'll have to take some pics for you guys​

6. pekinduck<3er

wonderful u should post them on a thread cal *post your duck pics here* so everyone could see it would be great!!

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Um, it would only be a problem for the goldfish.[​IMG]

The ducks enjoy things like that for treats.

If you have a "day old" bakery near you, you can often get bread really, really cheap -- 25 cents a loaf at the one in my area. It's a decent once in a while treat for them, like once a week. I wouldn't overdo it, because it can make them fat -- it's duck junk food, but they love it. Wheat bread would be better than white, IMO, more nutritious.

For a really good, really cheap treat, pop them some plain popcorn. They love that, too.

8. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Yeah, goldfish are great treats, on par I think for roaches for their enjoyment because they get to chase them around. At first, it took them like a minute for 3 goldfish and then when they got the hang of it, 6 gone in 5 seconds. GULP! I know that for herps and inverts, you are definitely not supposed to feed goldfish a lot, due to their usually poor care in pet stores contributing somehow, or something in their skin, or something like that, so I don't do it a lot, just in case. Roaches are their main yum yums. Be warned, extra protein=stiiiiiiinky poop!

9. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:lol, poor Goldfish [​IMG]

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Mine love the feeder fish but not bread, cat food or pellets of any kind. They eat laying mash and some whole grains but would love for me to give them more little fishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by