Feeder ideas for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TexasJ, Dec 22, 2012.

1. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    I'm looking for room saving ideas on feeders in the coop ill have six new RIR's that (pullets) will be stuck in the coop for a week or until they know that this is their home the coop is 4x6 and I would like to give them as much room as possible. Please feel free to give any ideas on this here is my set up so far[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ThanX BTW not real anywhere to hang feeders but if had to could be arranged

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do you have room to build a long narrow trough on one wall? It only needs to be long enough for the 6 of them to stand side by side and eat, at most. I'd screw it in so I could remove it later. If it's the height of their beaks or just below, they shouldn't bill out food too badly.

Will they have a run or fenced yard, or do you free range? If there is a fence I probably wouldn't confine them for more than a day.

3. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Yeah I could screw it to the wall where nesting boxes are but I don't want them pooping in there food... There is a 14'x12' fully inclosed run. From what I hear they need to be in coop long enough for them to roost and know that's home unless I've been miss informed by a few people. This is my first chicken rodeo lol

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  4. My feeders in the coop...

One water and one feed. I bought a double sided clip so when I change the water or food I just un-clip it and it comes right off! BTW why don't you hang th from your roosts? Those are roosts,right?

5. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] I hang mine from the ceiling or from overhead somewhere and have them hang where they can get the bottom trough with no problem.I hang it on a chain with S hooks so that I can adjust it as needed.I made a cone out of flashing so that nothing can get in from the top.I can slide it up when I fill the feeder and let it slide down when done.This helps to keep the poop and trash out.[​IMG]

6. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    I was going to hang the feeders from the roost but they will make a mess on them when roosting the coop I built has no rafters inside to hang from. I built a lid for the feeder so I'm good on that when I have day light ill send pick thanx for the options :)

7. Bidoville

Bidoville Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do you find hanging keeps the hens from scratching their food? We've been going through feed like crazy because one of the birds is scratching out the container. I think mounting the feeder or getting a hanging one is the solution.

8. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    If your coop is small and you're looking to save floor space, you might consider one of the PVC pipe feeders that is vertical - either attached to a wall or in a corner of your coop. Their entire footprint is the width of the pipe you choose - most people make them from 3" or 4" pvc. Put a cap on top to keep poop out. [​IMG]

9. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]
    This is my PVC pipe feeder (before I put it in the coop) I attached it to the wall

10. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Pipe feeder is the way in going I like that the best plus I have a lot of 4" pipe thanx :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by