Feeder of choice ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sam3 Abq, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Sam3 Abq

Sam3 Abq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    What is your preferred feeder type ? DIY or store bought ? I'm planning for 7 hens in the spring and wanted to ask 1st hand from those who have had chickens for at least a year .
    I came on to this forum specifically because i'm a vecino (neighbor) of yours over here in New Mexico .

Thanks for your feedback !

2. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. Sam3 Abq

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    This is what i'm leaning to just wanted to see if anyone could sway me in a different direction. Love this thing called a treadle feeder (one from Australia) but cant justify the cost of ever getting that thing shipped here. I've seen a how to build treadle feeder by Gallo del Cielo but i'm not that skilled to build.

Thanks jimmywalt ! do you know of a good video to help me build your recommendation ?

4. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    You're writing to me in another thread as well.

Just go to the link I provided, or look for the link in my signature line of any post I've wrote and there it is.

Just read my instructions................ You don't need a video!!! Cut a hole in the bucket and insert the pvc pipe. It couldn't get any easier.

5. Sam3 Abq

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yeah, I know you're on the other one too - trying to check on various forums. I'm planning on the version of the elbow feeder and saw a post of a slight variation with a "street" elbow ? going to lowe's later today to price some of these items to make myself. Thanks jimmywalt !

6. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Living in a warm climate I realized that I wanted feeders that could be easily washed and disinfected. We went with the metal feeders and waterers. We hang them on chains with double snaps so it's so easy to gather them up at night. They are cleaned every day. I have put the money into restaurant sinks I found on the web. They were sure worth it. So easy to wash the waterers and feeders.

7. Sam3 Abq

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Another good "pro" for the 5 gal buck. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by