feeder problems! Please help. pic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by erindubb, Jun 21, 2010.

1. erindubb

erindubb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Here is a pic of my spankin new feeder that I made yesterday for my 4 chickens. I made it for two reasons - i was still using the mason jar feeder that I had since they were babies and I had to fill it up twice a day since it was too small. And they were making too much of a mess and wasting TOO much. So, I researched on here and decided to make my own. I saw one like this and made it. Supposedly it is too wide for them to roost on - so they can't make a mess and if I put it up chest level, they won't scratch it all out. Hummmmm ----- non of that worked out. As you can see - those stinkers all get in it whenever they feel like it and I watched them actually use their whole face and beak to swipe food out - so much for not wasting - now it is even WORSE. They can all reach it and eat from it. But, what can I do now? How do I make one that has less waste?!?! Strawberry pot? I saw that on a thread here once and really liked that idea - I just don't think my coop is big enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    For my gravity feeder (L shaped instead of T) I chose to bore 2" holes in it instead of opening it up all the way. That seems to work for me. Also, I left the piping unsecured (no glue or screws) for adjustments and cleaning if needed.

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I would raise it up higher.

4. erindubb

erindubb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    If I raise it up higher the two bantams can't reach. [​IMG] What should I do? Can I put something in it to make a lip or something? I didn't know they would swipe it with their cute little faces to get food out!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That looks REALLY nifty. I made mine differently:

[​IMG]

I pulled some feed up for the picture... They have to put their heads down inside the tube pretty far; there's not that much wasted.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by