Feeder Q

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zimmy, Apr 9, 2007.

1. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Okay, I lost the nice little metal (bottomless! Ah!) feeder I bought from TSC, but I DO have something increadibly similar given to us a long while back--A little candy jar. It has a feeder bottom, and it came with the jar. Only problem is that it's painted red and white.

I is afraid-Are the chickies gunna peck at it, eat the paint chips, and DIE?! Because, I think I might be able to find the metal feeder... MIGHT

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Hmmmmm, I would think they MIGHT peck at the red on there. Just to be safe, I would TRY to find the other, or even go buy another.

3. zimmy

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    IF mum will drive all the way out to Bithlo... again...

If I can't, I'll have to use that until I can get a new one. Maybe I could paint the red over with white posterpaint, so it's less attractive?

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I think a safer way, would to get a small bowl...with low sides...to put the feed into, untill you can get another one. Any paint in my opinion would be very harmfull to them. Maybe you can use a pie plate??

5. zimmy

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Hm... Good idea!

About to go to wal-mart to get brooder things (since NOBODY wanted to buy ANYTHING until now, day 18--and even now I'm forcing it!), as soon as everyone finnishes their ess-petti (spaghetti), so on the list is: rubbermaid, desk lamp (bendy neck), bedding (PINE!), pie-tin, and anything else that occurs to me [​IMG]

Thank you so much!

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Dont forget the WATERER!! LOL

7. zimmy

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    NO WATER FOR CHICKIES!!!

I've got it all fixed, don't worry! XD

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    A dog or cat food bowl works well instead of a feeder in a pinch. A heavier model, or one of those with the rolled edges keeps them from tipping it over when they stand on it.

9. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    Quote:hahaha the way u said tht, i pictured u yellin at the computer screen twitching or something lol. i laughed a little without noticing [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  10. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Zim, out of curiousity, what kind of egg are you incubating?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by