Feeder question of the day

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tnchicken, Dec 12, 2009.

1. tnchicken

tnchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Does anyone have a good feeder design that prevents waste? The open designs are good for self feeding but tend to allow a lot of waste. Most of the commercial feeders I have seen have dividers that do not allow the rascals to "flip" the food and waste it. I just wondered if anyone has a good design they have came up with or even one they purchase that has been successful.

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    What I have done is taken a flower trough, the plastic ones that go in window boxes, and arch a piece of 2*4 inch wire over the top and secured it with wire. They can't get in, you just have to dump feed in, and it can be screwed places to make it off the ground.

Works for my polish, silikes, buff orps, barred rocks and EE's; it also raised 10 Cornish x's to a nice maturity.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I use gutters and screw them to the wall, it has worked great for me. Its deep enough that they can't scratch any out and waste it, its also cheap and easy to do.

5. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Quote:I made one of these for my turkeys. I didn't use a deep pan but a large tray for a flower pot. I wish I would have used a deep tray. They could make a mess of the feed.

I did like it other than that!

Bil

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Quote:Do you have a picture of this? I am interested but need to see it.

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Quote:This looks really good. We could do this and I think the pans were on sale at TSC, will have to check again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by