Feeder Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simplynewt, Oct 23, 2011.

1. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have a homemade feeder that is made of 1-1/2" PVC. It is about 36" long with a sweep on the end of it and out of that sweep is another piece of pipe that is about 20" long with the end of it cut lengthways about 12" so the hens can eat from it. It is not complete yet as I have to get a cap for the end so the feed doesn't hit the ground but I am experiencing one problem.

I can fill this pvc up and the thought was that as the girls eat from it, the feed would continually flow into the opened part of the pipe until the feed runs out. This would save me time in return trips to make sure they have enough feed and the girls wont go hungry. What is actually happening though is that the feed is hanging up in the sweep and I have to just tap the pvp slightly to get it to flow into the opened part of the pipe.

I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue or make it better so I wouldnt have to tap on it and the girls can have enough feed.

Thanks for the replies.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't have that type of feeder, but I have read on here that some people solved this problem by using 45 degree bends instead of 90 degree bends. Another fix they have mentioned is using larger diameter pipe. 1-1/2" is kind of small.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    yeah i think a 45 bend instead of 90 would prob help

4. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Thanks for the input. Will make the modifications as time permits. Will also go with a larger diameter pipe.

5. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Oh... I wish I knew about the 45 degree bends before. We have a 90 degree one and we have to kick the feeder (not too much of a big deal) daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by