Feeder & Waterer location in Coop or Pen

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by johnywilsonaus, Dec 3, 2013.

1. johnywilsonaus

johnywilsonaus New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Hi everyone, this is my first post so here goes nothing!

I have so many questions but i guess its best to start with only a couple in there correct threads.

Anyway, I have just introduced 3 Bantams into our coop where we have 5 ex battery hens and i am concerned for one them because it seems she is getting bullied and finding it hard eat and drink in peace. So my question is: should the food and water be available in the coop or in the coop and in the pen or just in the pen? I ask this because in the coop where it is at the moment is in a spot where one of the older hens can block the bantam from approaching.

I currently have it in the coop so they eat and drink during the night if they need too but am thinking i should have a second feeder and waterer in the pen?

Any suggestions, previous expereince, thoughts and advice will be muchly appreciated :)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

This is more work, but with two groups of chickens who don't get along for now, it is best to have two feeders.

The little ones will go without eating rather than confront a hen who is determined to keep them away from the feeders. So they won't get enough food. If you can, I'd suggest a second feeder in the run for now, but rodents will get into it during the night unless your run is rodent-proof. Also if the feed gets moist/wet it can make it moldy and moldy feed can kill chickens.

You may need to just simply put your second feeder inside the coop at night for safekeeping, or have a little covered bucket to place it in. You can build a little shelter for it to avoid it getting rained on if necessary. It will be important to not allow it to set outside for days due to morning dew moisture in the air (will turn moldy) and thus it may be best to put fresh feed into it daily (just put enough for one day in other words).

It is very important to keep the coop dark and quiet at night when they are closed up in there, with plenty of roost space, as I have seen large fowl hens beat up bantam hens on the roost. They need room to get away from this.

Bantams can have a hard time when integrated into a large fowl flock if they weren't all raised together. However, hopefully they will get along eventually. I usually get rid of bully hens. I like a peaceful flock. So I don't actually know how long it would take for everyone to get along.

I hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. johnywilsonaus

johnywilsonaus New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Thank you for your response. The run is not rodent proof so I think the idea about putting the second one in the coop at night is a good one.

Cheers,
    Johny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by