Feeder with minimal spillage?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DenverBird, Sep 11, 2011.

1. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    Apologies if this has been posted before but...

Our hens in the tractor seem to spill a lot of their feed with the 11 Lb Little Giant Plastic Hanging Poultry Feeder and as a result got lots of surprising volunteers in the garden this spring.

Can anyone please recommend a feeder that will minimize spillage more than the Little Giant?

Thanks,

-DB

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Were is mississippifarmboy when you need him? I also now of a good redneck feeder just can't find instructions.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    A section of gutter will work well and cut down on waste.

4. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Oh use I forgot about that I used to use that [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    These are my home made feeders that were made from recycled materials, (pallets and PVC pipe). I have ZERO waste/spillage. I use the trough style because I have over 200 animals that have to eat from the feeders, so the smaller feeders don't work for me. Some of my feeders are 4 feet long and some are 5 feet long. I have these feeders placed in the chicken yard. I pick them up and place them under my raised coop when I know it will rain, so that the feed doesn't get wet. The 4 feet long feeders can hold 5 gallons of feed and the 5 feet long feeders hold 5 1/2 gallons of feed. They're not pretty or fancy but they work PERFECT for me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wrldlygrrl

wrldlygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Decatur, GA