feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rugerr1, Aug 3, 2013.

1. rugerr1

rugerr1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    ALA
    Ok I built a feeder out a 3gal bucket with a planter bottom for the trough. I have 6 holes around the bottom about a inch an a half large, my chickens of course pick the trough clean but I'm worried they aren't getting it out of the holes when the trough is empty. And the feed doesn't seem to be flowing out of the holes like I had hoped. Thoughts?

2. Jeniferl29

Jeniferl29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    We
    Ok I built a feeder out a 3gal bucket with a planter bottom for the trough. I have 6 holes around the bottom about a inch an a half large, my chickens of course pick the trough clean but I'm worried they aren't getting it out of the holes when the trough is empty. And the feed doesn't seem to be flowing out of the holes like I had hoped. Thoughts?[/quote
    We had this same problem with our 5gallon feeders. We found that if we put something in the bottom cone shaped it helped the feed go to the holes if it was almost empty. Something like a funnel with the hole plugged of something like that would help.

3. rugerr1

Jun 24, 2013
    ALA
    What did you use and how did you apply it?

4. Jeniferl29

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    we used a cone we found in a feed and seed store but you probably have something in your kitchen you could use. A plastic bowl with a fairly rounded bottom would help a lot. Just put it in the bottom of the feeder with the bottom facing up. If you want to make sure it doesn't move, you could do what we did and use a simple glue like Elmer's to hold it down. You just need something in the center to help the food slide to the sides of the bucket instead of piling up in the center and making a little chick feed pyramid. Lol I wish I had a dollar for all the times I had to shake buckets this past winter in the cold to get the food to come out. I hope this helps a little. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

1 person likes this.
  5. rugerr1

Jun 24, 2013
    ALA
    Actually that was a lot of help I didnt want to make the holes bigger wich is all I could come up with, and I now have a visual on what you are saying. Thank you so much!

6. Jeniferl29

Feb 18, 2013
    Adairsville, GA
    No problem. Btw, we had to make the holes bigger on our feeder 3 times before we got it right...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by