Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 57 Wead, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 57 Wead

57 Wead New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Penrith NSW Australia
    Hi, just looking for some advice from here. I purchased a chicken feeder that allows the chook to step on a plate and the lid of the feeder opens.
    It's been 2 weeks now and my birds are still frightened of it if they step on the plate that opens the feeder lid. Ive used a peg to leave feeder open for two weeks now.
    Can you help me get my birds to actually use the feeder without being afraid of it?

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Welcome to BYC! I have seen these feeders and wondered how my chickens would feel about them. have you tried perhaps putting treats on the plate itself? Perhaps the chickens would be more likely to step on it if they had an extra incentive for a while. I am surprised they have not figured it out actually... chickens are so very smart usually! Good luck!

3. 57 Wead

57 Wead New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Penrith NSW Australia
    Hi there, I've put chook feed on the step. What other treats can you suggest?

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I think that it will go easiest if you completely prop the lid open so that it doesn't move at all when they step on the treadle--is it moving when they step on it? If they aren't going up to eat from it, put some scratch grains or anything they enjoy on the treadle and inside the feeder. Mealworms in the feeder work very well. If that is their only source of food, they should quickly learn to eat from it (if the lid is not moving). After a couple of weeks, make it so the lid moves just a little bit when they step on the treadle. Leave it like this for a while until they get used to the movement (they will eventually). You may even close it slightly more after that for a period of time. Not all birds will learn to use it right away, but some will. The others will then quickly learn by watching their flock mates and getting on the treadle while the first bird is eating.

5. 57 Wead

57 Wead New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Penrith NSW Australia
    Okay, I will give it a go, its nearly been 4 weeks since buy this feeder. I got sick of the sparrows eating all their feed. Thanks.

6. 57 Wead

57 Wead New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Penrith NSW Australia
    Ok ive put the lid almost closed after a week of being open all the way. Cross fingers it works.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    After having it propped completely open for a week, I'd make it so the cover moved just a little each time they stepped on the treadle for at least a few days. Watch them, it might be too much of a transition to have it go from completely open to almost closed. Good luck!

8. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    How has it been going with the feeder? Any progress with your chickens?

9. 57 Wead

57 Wead New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Penrith NSW Australia
    Going to start putting the feeder lid a little more closed now, have had the lid opened up all the way for a couple of weeks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by