Feeders and waterers for active meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mrs. Mucket, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    What kinds of feeders and waterers do you use for strong and active meaties? At about 3 weeks my Freedom Rangers started knocking over their bucket/saucer feeders and waterers. My standard pullets have never knocked theirs over. Hanging the FR feeder caused other issues. I'm planning to make some PVC+nipple waterers attached to the FR tractor/range shelter wall but can't figure out the best type of feeder to use. There are 25 FRs. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I use a bucket feeder which only gets knocked over when it is nearly empty (good sign I need to fill it). My standard 3 gallon (I think) waterer has never been tipped over by the FR, at least not that I can remember.

They did knock over the troth style chick feeders when they were about 3 weeks, it was about that time that I switched to a bucket style.

3. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:I second the bucket feeder. That is the best feeder to use period! I have tried about 5-different types and have stuck with the bucket! I use just a 5-gallon bucket sitting on an oil pan. This is the perfect spacing so that the chicks do not try to perch (at least mine don't). They have jumped in a few times, therefore put something on top of the bucket and that is one less knock-over opportunity.

My waterer: I use a bucket for that as well. I take a culligan water bottle (one that fits in a home water cooler) with a few holes near the top/throat. I have a 5-gallon bucket with holes (above the height of the hole on the culligan bottle) big enough for beaks to access! I have enough rough for about 12-chickens to get water at once with that bucket, and it lasts a long time with the size of the bottle.

4. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I second the bucket feeder. That is the best feeder to use period! I have tried about 5-different types and have stuck with the bucket! I use just a 5-gallon bucket sitting on an oil pan. This is the perfect spacing so that the chicks do not try to perch (at least mine don't). They have jumped in a few times, therefore put something on top of the bucket and that is one less knock-over opportunity.

My waterer: I use a bucket for that as well. I take a culligan water bottle (one that fits in a home water cooler) with a few holes near the top/throat. I have a 5-gallon bucket with holes (above the height of the hole on the culligan bottle) big enough for beaks to access! I have enough rough for about 12-chickens to get water at once with that bucket, and it lasts a long time with the size of the bottle.

Do you have pictures of these?

5. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana

Do you have pictures of these?

sorry for delay,
    here is the pic of the waterer (the feeder is pretty common and I assume you do not want pics of it) -
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by