Feeders for a 4 bird coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by can't get enough chicken, Jun 30, 2010.

1. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    We have a small coop with a 8 foot enclosed run. Our chickens also free-range some of the day. To date we've used small (apx. 1 qt) waterer and a pan for feeding. As the girls are getting larger, they really mess up both the waterer and feeder. We move the food/water and the chickens to the coop each night, where we lock them in.

We have looked at the stainless pail-type feeders and waterers and they all look so huge for 4 hens. So - two questions: what size/type of feeder/waterer should we use, and where should they be? Do the chickens need water and food in the coop each night? Thanks.

2. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    I have four chickens and use a small plastic hanging feeder. The container holds about 2 quarts. I hang it in the run on a shepherds hook during the day and put it away at night in a metal trash can where I store the big bag of pellets. For water I started with the plastic jar screwed to the plastic dish when they were small. Now I have 2 qt. stainless steel buckets. One stays in the run and one is under their favorite tree. I use the plastic thing when I give them whey from yogurt making. I don't leave food and water out at night.

3. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    where did you get those feeders?

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We get our feeders from Tractor Supply. We use a trough feeder for our big flock, but I'm now lurking here because I need a new, smaller one for our small flock.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The smaller bucket-type feeders are not all that big for 4 hens, and you don't have to fill it up completely. I don't leave feed out at night, even if it is inside the coop. That's just asking for rodent problems, and I've got a bad enough one already! The feed won't go bad as long as it doesn't get wet, so you could fill it and take it out at night, or hang it up high at night. That's what I do with my barred rocks' feeder. It's attached to a chain inside their coop, and almost impossible to get down. So I've got a heavy gauge piece of wire at the top and just hang the feeder up there so the rats can't get to it.

As for the waterer, you can use the 1-gallon screw on types, I just give my BR an ice cream bucket outside their coop. They don't have food or water at night, they don't need it. I lock them up after they go to roost, and usually let them back out between 7 and 8 in the morning.

Some of the 1-gallon waterers have hangers on them, if you can't find one of those just set the waterer on top of a concrete block so they can't scratch in it too badly.

6. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    If you want to put ACV in the water you need plastic. I have 9 girls and have a 1 G waterer and made a pail feed dispensor like so many otrhers do. Yes it is big but I do not need to fill their feed as often. [​IMG]

7. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I use 5 gallon feeders for my 6-bird flock. The water lasts about two weeks, and the feed lasts much longer. I love not having to fill the feed and water. You could always use 2-3 gallon buckets if you don't want to deal with the 5 gallon ones, though. The feeder is just a bucket with holes cut around the bottom, with a horse feed pan bolted onto it (total cost ~$12) and the waterer is a bucket with two poultry nipples in the bottom, and a small breather hole just below the bucket lip (total cost about $6). They work better than any of the much spendier commercially made feeders/waterers, and very easy to make and customizable to your needs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks so much those are great ideas and pictures for the food and water feeders. I made a coop so if you need any help or ideas or even pictures just ask!! You have very pretty chickens as well! Thanks again!

9. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    How many poultry nipples did you use?

10. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I use two nipples for six birds and that seems to work just fine. I have seen recommendations for something like 1 nipple per dozen birds, but I have seen two of mine drinking at the same time, so I'm glad to have the second one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by