Feeders for meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, May 12, 2010.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So those of you that keep cornish x or any other type bird for meat here is my question.

For 100 birds what size feeder and how many do you keep in a tractor?

Right now I have 4 3ft long galvanized steel feeders that I fill daily for my birds. The free range as well. I also have some 4" pvc feeders running on the inside of my tractors and I only use those when I know there is no rain in the forecast.

Seems my 120 birds I have clean out all 4 of the 3ft metal feeders daily to the bottom steel shine. I normally fill them in the AM and put them in the middle of the range area about 30 - 40 feet from each tractor. I keep the waterers in the tractor that are gravity fed from a 5 gallon bucket and a 3 gallon waterer out by the feed. Does anyone think that is to much feed? 500lbs of feed lasts me about 5 weeks or so.

Here is my set up right now: http://gallery.me.com/anthonyjames420#100369

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I do 75 birds usually, and I have a homemade 5 gallon bucket feeder as well as a 3 ft trough feeder. The bucket lasts all day, but I usually refill the trough once, so there isn't crowding at the bucket.

3. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    We had 28 birds. I used a 25 lb hanging feeder. Of which id fill about half way up for a 12hr ration.

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I haven't built one yet , but have a plan in my head for a section of rain gutter mounted on a board with another hinged board over the top to keep out rain , prevent chickens from perching on or above the feeder and crapping in it , prevent them from climbing in to scratch feed out . The reason for the hinge is to be able to lower it completely down to stop access to feed without having to remove or empty a feeder . The board that the rain gutter will be fastened to will have hangers on the back to attach it to the tracter or wherever I choose at whatever height is preferred .

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Home made feeder here.
    [​IMG]

6. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    I have went to building bin style feeders in the coops or tractors. The layer coop bin will holdS 100 lbs. The tractor will hold a good 75 lbs.
    I still have a a variety of other self build feeders using 5 gal buckets, old stove pipe, a plastic mail box..ect...
    The bins are the best as they hold more than as days worth of feed and are easy fill. The bin with the broilers is 52 inches long, so about an inch a bird.

Looked at your set up- the naked neck look good- you sure do have some fine looking birds. If I were you I would build one big feeder.
    That way you could save on labor(time). How about a bin on the back of the tractor - something that would hold 50 lbs or so. Looks to me like the tractor is 8 ft wide. You could go 96 inches and if there is feed available longer the will not fight over it too much.

Your feed consumption looks about correct at 5 weeks. Are you going to process at 12 weeks or sooner?

7. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I use a 5 gallon hanging galvanized feeder for 25-30 chickens in a tractor. It lasts all day until the final weeks when I fill it 2x/day.

[​IMG]

8. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Eggtastic,

Thanks for the info. The tractor is 8ft long. After these guys are gone I am converting to a hoop house style tractor. I find these to be way to heavy. So what I plan on doing in lining the inside with tecfoil and converting these both to brooders and keeping them deep litter and possibly changing out litter only one time per year or less. I am building my hoop house tractors to be 8 x 10 instead of 8 x 12 which is what those are currently. Seeing as they free range and are enclosed with eletric poultry netting I will cut doors but will not use them until processing time.

I love these little guys. There are 125 naked neck roos and 25 hens in there. I am letting them go about 14 weeks and I am looking for a 4lb dressed weight. I have them on a 26% feed hoping to get them up to weight a little faster. Not only that I am using the same feed for my quail and turkeys as well. Then I have feed all my hens 18% layer. Easier to keep two feeds then many if you know what I mean.

I will look at building one big feeder for the hoop houses. My plans is to use them in the winter to bump them up to my hoop house/green house and have my hens use it as them coop/laying area. I wrap it in tekfoil and add some detachable nest boxes.

Thanks and have a good night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by