Feeders for moistened or fermented feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by katieuppi, Jun 17, 2017.

1. katieuppi

katieuppi Songster

Feb 10, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    What does everyone that feeds moistened or fermented feed use as a feeder? Gravity fed is not working out at all. The Scratch and Peck that I feed moist kind of dries and cakes so it can't drop down. I tried a plastic trough style but my girls didn't seem to be able to get their heads through the holes to get their food. I'm currently using the round plastic gravity type with a quart jar, though I only put the food in the trash and feed them 3x a day at the moment. Totally not working for me.

There are other trough style feeders that have wire over the top instead of a lid with holes. I'm thinking this might work, though I'm concerned the girls would kick and scratch out all the food. What are your words of wisdom, pretty please?

Thanks!

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I just use cat food dishes set up on bricks. Having a couple of bowls keeps the more dominant birds from being able to hoard the food, and they're cheap and easy to clean and too small for the birds to climb all over.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Gravity feeders do not work for FF.
    Any kind of dish you have around the house could work.
    If you look around you are bound to have something to "make" a feeder.
    Here is an example:
    929 × 790 - backyardchickens.com

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I use a heavy duty old glass round baking dish, that can't be tipped over.

5. katieuppi

katieuppi Songster

Feb 10, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm thinking my girls would jump up and scratch out all the food...

6. katieuppi

katieuppi Songster

Feb 10, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    Well, I'm going to try an old Pyrex pie plate on bricks, then. I've got loads of them and I'm definitely not keen on spending $ unnecessarily. If they scratch it out they'll have to eat it from the ground. Thanks, all!

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Keep it simple...don't over think it...a pyrex dish on the ground will work!
    Good luck.

8. I have been wetting up the food on hot days, I mix it in a rubber feed bowl then dump it in the run right on the deep litter. They eat it up.

Gary

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I made a couple gutter feeders, and really like them. There is a dowel across the middle, about 4" above the rim of the gutter. the dowel is mounted so it will spin if a bird tries to perch on it.

I also use various dog food bowls, and a plastic chip and dip container.

KikisGirls likes this.
  10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    One of mine loves standing in her food, so that's why I like smaller dishes like cat food bowls since it's too small for her to get in (though understandably if you have a lot of birds, that's a lot of tiny dishes to manage).

I've also tried bigger bowls like pie dishes, but that usually gets a least one chicken standing in it.

Experiment a little and you'll find the ideal solution for your set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: