Feeders in coop???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggresiveAli, Sep 30, 2013.

1. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Hi guys i'm a first time chook keeper, though i know plenty. Im only 12 and my mum and dad aren't really "good" with technology so i need to ask. I love my girls and when i let them out, they power into their feed. It will start getting dark early i mean like 5:30pm. I let them out at 7:30am. Should i put their feeders & drinkers in their coop at night. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    The only way they will eat is if you have a light in your coop so they can see what their doing at least after dark. I have a feeder inside but my light turns on 2 hours before daylight if the light is on at night and they aren't on the roost they won't be able to get on itwwhen it goes off.

3. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    I would put the food and water in the coop if the coop is spacious enough so the chickens won't be pooping into the food and water when they roost. If the coop has a window or vent through which daylight can penetrate, they will be able to eat if it's light out before you are able to let them out.

4. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    I put feed and water in the coop and in the run. If they wake up before I do they eat and drink and don't mind. So my take on putting it in the coop is, it couldn't hurt.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't have a door between my coop and run, just an opening. But I keep my feed in the coop to keep it dry. I have lots of space in the coop for a large feeder.

6. EggresiveAli

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Thanks guys

7. EggresiveAli

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Ill probably just leave them out

8. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    Personal preference. That's what it comes down to. If you watch them enough you will see what they want.

9. roosterslayeggs

roosterslayeggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG] hen or rooster anyone know? And I'm not sure what's wrong with this little fellow he's the same age as the one beside him but hasn't grew ? Do I need to be concerned?

10. roosterslayeggs

roosterslayeggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    [​IMG] better pic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by