Feeders made from kitty liter buckets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by showmesilkies, Sep 19, 2010.

1. showmesilkies

showmesilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Central Missouri
    My Coop
    I made some feeders from empty kitty liter buckets that minimize wasting feed and grain. Soon as I can figure how to post photos I will do so. They are easy and simple to make, plus you could easily find the buckets for free on such sites as craigslist or ReUseit (formally FreeCycle). We have cats so we go through liter quite often and that is where I acquired mine.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. busterduck

busterduck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Hey Showme, please show me those feeders. I have TONS of buckets around and would LOVE to see your idea. [​IMG]

4. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    I would be interested as well. I have made a waterer out of a 2 gal. bucket, and a small feeder out of a plastic gallon jar, but I do have some kitty litter jugs waiting for something creative to be made out of them besides using for sidewalk salt or birdseed...........

5. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    That's what my feeder is made from. I bolted it to a galvanized oil pan with about a 3" lip to reduce waste. I drilled 4 holes (1 1/2") toward the bottom. It holds about 10-15# of mash. I shake it each morning to make sure the food is still flowing. It's no frills, but it seems to work.

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Would love to see pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by