Feeders or sprinkling feed on ground?

Maryallison77

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
So just a quick question. Which is better, Keeping the chicken feed in container or sprinkling it on the ground? So far I have had it on the ground, but I do like the idea of a feeder too. I do have about 20 hens now. The oldest being 3 1/2 months old and the youngest (not living with the big girls yet) about 5 weeks old.
tongue.png

If you sprinkle feed on the ground, a lot of it gets wasted. The chickens won't eat it if it sits on the ground and gets a little dirty. They're so picky!
lol.png

respectfully disagree. The "here, chicky-chicky' method of grain scattering is both time honored and fun. Kids like to do it. We always have food in two black combat-tough rubber bowls, but I scatter it like crazy too.

Whatever works. Chickens survive on garbage in poorer lands than ours, and survive in style. So you can do what works for you, though garbage isnt likely the best choice! They'll be okay any old way.

It is best to put the feed in a hanging feeder. Then to sprinkle the scratch grains on the ground.

I have my feeder hanging, but during the morning and afternoon I take a handful of whole corn, sunflower seeds, and whole wheat and sprinkle it on the ground as a treat.

Throwing some feed around is okay - gives your chickens something to do; but I would worry about pests (bugs who may be harmful, rats and mice) and predators who would also be attracted to the food if there were excess laying around on the ground all the time. We use a feeder and a "treat bowl"; both get taken out of the coop at night.

I use two hanging feeders in the chicken house along with one waterer. Outside I use one hanging feeder with a weather proof shield and a 5 gallon waterer. This gives all the birds a chance to eat and drink without a dominant bird guarding everthing.
Every morning and evening I hand feed scratch or scatter it on the ground in front of me for the chickens, guineas and one turkey. This is a highlight of my day!
All of the birds come running to greet me every time they see me and mill around my feet. I get a good chance to look them over and study them up close to my heart's content.
In over twenty years of off and on chicken ownership this method has always worked for me. I've never had a problem with the food attracting any unwanted pests other than our goat!

Chicknfarmer - we have raccoons, mice, moles and mites all snooping around for spilled chicken feed and have already eliminated one rat... we need to be careful! Maybe not everyone has pests problems; lucky you! I just wanted to share my experiences with spreading food. I know it is fun to feed them by hand - we do this as well; but we try to make sure not too much left overs around to temp fate!

Silkiemama,
I'm sorry, I wasn't picking on your post. We, too, have raccoons, possums, etc.... they all prefer the cat and dog food, sigh. We have battles over that, but, life in the woods is worth it!
My chickens NEVER leave a grain of scratch on the ground for more than a few seconds. Or a blade of grass, stray worm.... I've even seen them grab flies out of the air! It's kinda like the movie "Pirahna" if you can recall that, a feeding frenzy so to speak. Alright, it's not that bad, but when it comes to scratch they don't stop until it's ALL gone.

Back
Top Bottom