Feeders waterers ideal for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tndrhrt, Oct 17, 2013.

1. tndrhrt

tndrhrt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    I see so many feeders and waterers but all seems to be labeled poultry or for chickens... Any ideas or pictures of what works for you? I give buckets of water but maybe they might like an alternative water source (that might stay a bit cleaner?)

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    For waterers you won't find any that will stay cleaner, ducks just mess them up, it'll be impossible to keep them cleaner(i know a total let down, eh? [​IMG]) that said i use black rubber livestock bowls for mine, there durable, clean well and even withstand winters.

[​IMG]

Now as for feeders i have found these to be THE BEST for ducks, seriously i run two of them for my big flock..

[​IMG]

http://www.superbowlfeeders.com/home.html

They are great for ducks of all ages, and i mean big breeds too(i mainly keep Muscovy) i slightly elevate them using a feed pan but otherwise i cannot say enough good things about them, they hold A LOT of feed and i have lids on mine. The open bottom design easily allows ducks to shovel the food as they do naturally unlike some chicken feeds that interfere with that.

They SUCK for chickens IMO my big hens free range and dump the feed out of them when they head into the duck area but for the ducks it's ideal.

3. barnyard betty

barnyard betty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    I have to agree with Going Quackers....ducks are sooo messy! [​IMG] I use the rubber livestock bowls too along with a stainless steel large dog bowls, I like them because I can scrub clean easily as needed, which is pretty much everyday LOL! I also use the large 5 gal. drinkers usually sold for chickens and my ducks like that as well, but even with it being elevated they make a mess of it quickly.
    I also have the 'superbowl' pictured in Going Quackers post....and have used them for chickens, but think I will try them with my ducks as well now! [​IMG]
    Experiment with what works best for you in your situation and good luck...they are messy...but so worth it!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For food, large stainless dog food bowls (the no-tip kind). And for water, straight-sided, flat-bottomed two-gallon stew pots. On a bed of compressed sawdust pellets if they are in the night pen.

1 person likes this.
  5. tndrhrt

tndrhrt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    Tell me more about the compressed sawdust pellets? What is the purpose? They absorb water I guess? Used in addition to straw/hay?

I live about an hour from the nearest feed store. Looking online, send any great online store links if you know any!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    My friend Erin at Blue Yurt Farms created this free duck/goose waterer that helped with the mess.

8. Koekoek

Koekoek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That one i like, need to keep it in mind in case of future ducks lol
    This is different, i see Muscovy too but honestly, my rubber livestock bowls stay pretty clean my ducks have plenty of pools and low laying water so don't generally dirty in the drinking bowls and i love the simplicity.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by