feeders what type?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by homecatmom, Nov 11, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Songster

I currently have a plastic feeder jar type that gets filled up and the top (actually the bottom) gets slid on and all gets flipped over. The food has a space to come under the lip and fill the outer areas where there are holes for the birds heads to go in and eat. I do not like this feeder and the birds don't seem to either. What do you all use to feed? I could go get a heavy crock dog-type bowl that they couldn't turn over. Or, should I build a box with holes and a hinged lid for filling? I'm not sure.

2. ctjim

ctjim Songster

Jun 9, 2007
    lebanon,ct
    i have a plastic hanging feeder from tsc and used some yellow peanut rope to hang it from the rafters. seems to work much better than the box feeder i had b4 they kept knocking it over and wasting the food. my birds are free range so they don't really eat much grain although i give them some each morning now, i think once winter sets in they will eat more grain.

3. schmoo

schmoo Songster

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Quote:if I remember right someone on here solved the lid problem by using and or attaching a pie tin on top somehow??

4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Songster

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Through trial and error we found that a hanging feeder with a small lip on the outer edge turned in kept them from "billing" feed out. Miller makes one. Also at wally world in the auto dept there is a round black plastic pan used for oil changes that will fit perfectly under the feeder and catch any feed thrown out.( the feeder sits inside it) Also you can place a block under a feeder to raise it to the height of the chicks backs and that helps also, if you cant hang it.

5. karmical

karmical Songster

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    I started out with a metal hanging feeder, but found the crumbles turned to powder really quickly. Plus, it took up space in the coop that could otherwise be a nice open area. Now I've got metal feeders that attach to the wall...works much better for my birds and my set up.

http://www.strombergschickens.com/images/feeders/EC_L.jpg
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/feeders_trough.php

There's a nice lip that curves inward and helps keep the feed from getting billed out.

And they look so cute all lined up at the feed "trough"!

6. Quote:if I remember right someone on here solved the lid problem by using and or attaching a pie tin on top somehow??

Fantastic. And w/ Thanxgvg coming up I should have a gang of pie tins to choose from. Thanx much!

7. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    THANKS for posting the links Karmical - I think I like the looks of this one in the middle
    Plastic Feed/Water Trough order #FT6030
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/produ … trough.php

Look at the long plastic feeders I screwed to 3 of my pens "I wish I could find more they work the best of any feeders I have. NO WASTE and they do not take up floor space. I have silkies.
    I have wondered if the plastic gutters would work good for the bigger breeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Matt Berry

Matt Berry In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    SE Michigan
  9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    i use a 100lb poly feeder.an i set it up on a pallet.to keep the dirt out of the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by