Feeding 12 wk old pullet with the adult hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by caralouise1974, Oct 23, 2009.

1. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just wondering if I'm doing the right thing with feeding my small flock...

I have a 12 week old pullet living with her momma and another adult hen. I am feeding them grower pellets, plus free choice oyster shell and small amounts of scratch treats and other little bits and pieces from our kitchen.

Both the grown up girls are currently laying, and seem to be helping themselves to the oyster shell daily, with nice hard shells resulting, so is this situation okay to continue until the pullet can go onto layer feed? And is it okay to go to layer feed at 18 weeks, considering that's going to be right in the middle of winter (ie will she even start laying in the middle of winter, or not start until next spring?)

I worry about my big girls and their calcium reserves, but also don't want to overload the little one, while she's growing, with too much calcium. Is this alright for all of them or could I be doing better?

Thanks for your advice xx

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our young ones go onto layer feed as soon as they go to the yard which is usually right around 8 weeks. Never had a problem with it. But sounds like you got a good thing going with what you are doing.

3. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the vote of confidence; feels better to know I'm not doing something ridiculously bad for my girls! [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sounds good. I would feed Purina "Flock Raiser" coz that's just what I've done, but grower should be fine. Seems your hens are doing just great on the oyster shell.
    Especially if they're free ranging too, they will be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by