1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding 2 Day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fowlplay, Apr 22, 2008.

1. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if it's too soon to give these baby chicks other things to eat, in addition to the chickstarter. If so, anythings in particular that are recommended or can we give them anything from the allowed treat list?
    They all seem to be doing really well. Couple pasty butts, but I just do my best to wipe them with a slightly damp papertowel. [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't give anything other than the starter feed for at least the first two weeks. Others might have a different opinion. The starter feed has all of the good nutrients and vitamins in it that your little chicks need to get off to a good start. Just stick with the starter for now. Maybe around 2 weeks you can offer some meal worms or small crickets with some starter grit. [​IMG] My chicks are all 5 weeks old now and I have never fed them anything other than the starter feed, except one time. I gave them some yolk from a hard boiled egg when they were 2 weeks old. They loved it, but it was a mess! Just stick with the starter...

Edited to add more info...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never given chicks that young anything other than their starter/grower...it's all they need...other things at an early age might cause more problems than pasty butt...

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I mashed a boiled egg for my eggs at around 1 week old but the first week, they just got their chick starter.

5. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Ok great. Will just stick with starter for now. Thanks guys!

6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I gave mine organic plain yogurt at 1 week, every day. Never had a problem with pasty butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by