Feeding 2 different ages...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JodyJo, Jul 24, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I know what I have to do, not sure how to do it:
    I have 16 16 week olds and 3 6 week olds...the older ones are about ready for Layer Feed, the younger ones still on starter.
    I have just put them in a separate cage inside the coop with the older ones to get them ready to integrate.
    Now, how do I keep the younger ones from eating the older ones food?

ugh...I can keep the younger ones in the run during the day, feed them there, and let the older ones out, like I am now.
    I can feed the older ones outside the run, they free range all day anyhow, then pick up all food at night when they are all in the coop?

any other suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Well, this is what I am doing. I am feeding Purina Flock Raiser to everyone. Hens, almost layers and chicks. I have a big cup of free choice oyster shell available 24/7 and everyone is happy and healthy.
    I will switch to layer feed after the little chicks start laying. My hens went broody so everyone is in one big pen, already integrated.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I found my answer on another post...DDawn, had a great suggestion and one I would have come up with eventually!

Starter Feed, oyster shell on the side...I have 3 roos too, so this will solve all the problems!

Thanks for answering though Mtn Margie

4. Mtn Margie

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Check your prices. Starter can be more expensive. Flock raiser is on sale at Murdochs this week for 16.99 bag.

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:The closest Murdochs is in Salida, 2 hours away! I may be able to find it locally, will have to check, thx! Where do you live? I am in the San Luis Valley

6. Mtn Margie

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    I am over here by Estes Park/ Boulder. 45 Minutes from Murdochs, LOL I "go to town" once every couple of weeks and stock up especially when it is hot down on the flatlands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by