Feeding 22 week old chicks

EggheadsRus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Ok, from what I have read you aren't supposed to start feeding layer pellets until they begin to lay... However, my Delawares are now 22 weeks old and haven't started laying yet (probably due to it being winter) so do I still need to purchase chick feed or can I start them on layer pellets? I would hate to buy the chick feed only for them to start laying and then it would be wasted LOL

Thanks for the help!

Hi EggheadsRus,

I gather it's best to feed a high calcium feed shortly before lay starts (a few weeks). Apparently that's when pullets start to store a lot of extra calcium. I switch mine when the combs start to redden and gain full size.

If yours are going to sit out the winter then you could probably keep feeding chick grower if it's not medicated. Or you could buy an all purpose flock feed and add shell grit a few weeks before you expect them to lay. But layer feed would work, I'm sure.

cheers
Erica

Hi EggheadsRus; my chickens are also 22 weeks old. This is my first experience with chickens so I've been asking tons of question. One of my co-workers is a farm boy and has a degree in Ag. He told me early on that they would start laying at 22 weeks. I got my first egg Friday, 21 weeks and 2 days after they hatched. I just followed the feed recommendation on the back of the Dumor feed bag. I just started them on layer crumble one week before the first egg showed up. I wanted to finished all of the grower feed first. I still have all 26 chickens I started with which is way better then I expected based on what everyone was telling me. They seem very healthy to me. I'm certainly no expert, just letting you know what I'm doing and it is working fine so far.

Thanks for your responses
smile.png
I will be buying feed today so will go ahead and just get the layer pellets. Here are a couple of pics I took a few days ago of our young brood
big_smile.png

97263_apollo_and_the_girls.jpg

Apollo is our rooster and he is such a handsome fellow!!

97263_apollo_tgiving.jpg

Back
Top Bottom