Feeding 3.5 month laying chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PuBertJr, Jul 5, 2016.

1. PuBertJr

PuBertJr New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    Hi everyone. First I would like to say thanks to all for your post and info on these forums. It's been a great help on researching things. But now I'm need help and can't find any info.
    Here's my question.
    I have 12 chick's that are 3.5 months old and some are starting the lay eggs. Now I don't know what to do about feed. They have been on a feeder/grower feed. So I'm not sure what to feed them now. Also what about oyster shells for chick's that young. I have read it's not good to start them at that age. Plz help
    Here is a pic of the eggs I got yesterday. [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There are a couple of ways of doing this:

Continue with a grower/all flock/flock raiser until they all begin to start laying then switch to layer feed. Provide oyster shell free choice, the one's that are laying will take what they need, usually the ones not in lay will pick a piece here and there but won't consume much OS until they need it. Even when you switch to layer make the OS available free choice.

OR You can feed all flock/flock raiser from now on, just make sure the OS is available.

I have a mixed flock and prefer the higher protein content, so I use an all flock feed year round. OS is always available free choice, the girls take what they need. I also bake, then crush my egg shell and feed those back as well (free choice). My rooster seems to like a few pieces of shell every now and then. I save my egg shells and bake a large batch, crush, then store in an airtight jar for future use.

Just my thoughts[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Ditto

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3. I feed Flock Raiser, with oyster shell on the side, to my flock; all ages, cocks, babies, old non-laying hens, everyone. Mary

5. Kkelan

Kkelan New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    I am new at this and getting two laying hens. How much and what should I be feeding them.. They are arriving in the next couple days
    Thankyou!

6. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Since they are laying, give them a quality layer feed which contains calcium for strong shells.
    Free choice for whenever they want it. Keep grit available free choice as well.
    Keep their water cool and refresh it often. Keep them cool with a mister and or fan.
    Here is a treat chart to give you ideas of what chickens can and can NOT eat.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Please note that laying hens may stop laying for a while after they are moved from one place to another.
    Moves are very stressful. They should resume after they feel at home.

Good luck and welcome to BYC!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would put them on layer as soon as that first egg appears, if not a bit before. Or... finish out the current bag and offer oyster shell on the side. Then you can continue with multi flock + oyster shell, or switch to layer. IMO, chickens get into calcium deficit so easily, especially the super layers, a bit of extra calcium before they start laying is not harmful.

8. Lady hen chick

Lady hen chick New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    give them layer feed ,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by