Feeding 3 week olds

Five Points John

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Do you put in free choice jar or feed twice a day in a trough? We got 11 chicks to day and put in a quart of feed and they have half that ate from 4 till 7:30! At this rate we cann't aford to feed thm;) Thanks john

All our birds from day old to adults have feed available 24 hours a day. You will have a hundred people give you a hundred different answers to this question. It is what works best for you and your situation. A chicken will only eat what it needs to to be full. If you are free ranging them at all then that will suppliment their feed. At this age they are growing remarkably fast and need all the nutrients they can get. If you cut back their feed then they will only take longer to fill out and grow to normal body weight. This is a common practice with broiler chickens. Broiler chickens are bred to grow very rapidly and consume huge amounts of food because of it. You can regulate their feed intake and therefore regulate the rate of growth. Some breeds are more feed thrifty then others especially in the teen and young adult stage. A production layer will consume more feed than a mixed breed barnyard chicken.

John,

I have (9) 3 week old chicks and I just switched them from a quart feeder to a 3 gallon feeder. lol We were filling up the quart feeder everyday, and thought it would be wise to go ahead and put a bigger feeder in. I let them "free feed" all day, which just means I let them eat whenever they want. they are like babies, eating, pooping and peeping all the time. They are growing...

I have also started them with meal worms, which they love! I also give them a bowl of plain yogurt everynight. Giving treats makes them love you!
tongue.png
I hope this helps. I'm sure once and if you let them free range, your food bill will decrease!

Back
Top Bottom