1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding 3week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rooster419, Dec 24, 2010.

1. rooster419

rooster419 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    i got baby chick feed when i got her but what should we feed her after she grows up a little. and i read some where on the forum that cracked corn aint good for then because they dont have no protein and eggs are all protein so can i give her table scraps and meat. and what about veggies do they eat stuff like that. thanks newbie

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's very good to be asking these questions about diet. When baby chicks are growing, there are some things they shouldn't have because it will interfere with their proper growth (like cracked corn), and other things they need. Chick starter has everything they need, but it must be fresh. When you buy it, ask how long it's been on the shelf, and if it's last year's demand fresh.

When they get to be around six weeks old, you can start feeding them flock raiser - a high protein feed. But don't feed them layer feed before they are around five or six months as that has too much calcium in it and can harm their growth.

For the most part, chickens are vegetarians. A tiny amount of meat (not hot dogs, sausage or lunch meat) won't hurt. After all, they love worms and that's meat. But you can feed them just about any vegetable and fruit that you eat, and they'll love it. Even oranges and bananas, but you need to peel them first!

If you live by the sea, they would love sea weed (kelp), and all sorts of berries and nuts. They love raisins and peanuts.

Hope this helps! Keep asking questions! No such thing as too much information

3. lostroger

lostroger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Louisville Ky
    i woul stay with crumbles until they are laying age...

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

definately stay with feeding chick feed. Crack corn is only really good for full grown chickens durring the winter. It is very fattening and the chickens need better nutrition to grow than jsut corn could give. Yes food scraps are ok to feed but in small amouts for the same reason that you do not want them filling up on just one thing. When they get to atleast 10 weeks I woudl throw in some scratch for them to peck at and maybe some food scraps. Just make sure to read the poisonous food for chicken thread that is located on byc to make sure that the food is ok to give before feeding as a small chicken like a 3 week old could get poisoned easily.

Hope that helps have a good holiday CEF

5. rooster419

rooster419 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    thanks alot for all the imfo. can i feed her worms and fruit and veggies now at 3 weeks or wait till she is 6 weeks. thanks again

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Here's BYC treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

There
    is no really solid answer about when to start. Some people wait longer, others start almost at day 1. The main thing about treats is, it's safest to limit them to about 10% or less of their daily intake. That way you know they are getting the nutrients, vitamins and minerals and such, and such that they need.

Of course you can learn all about that stuff and feed them whatever you want, even make your own feed. More expensive than buying starter and grower, though. Just try to keep a balance. This AM I gave 5 minute oats (right out of the box) and BOSS -- a little whole grain and a little protein and fat.

They are are omnivores, and will eat every bug, snail, slug, snake, mouse, etc. that they can get hold of, very eagerly. Fruit and veggie trimmings are usually eaten eagerly as well. They love BOSS and scrambled eggs. They also probably love a bit of whatever you are having for dinner -- even chicken.

Some creatures do carry worms that can then infest the chicken, earthworms included. But you couldn't stop them from eating a grasshopper or worm or whatever if you wanted. Many people simply put them on a regular worming program. You don't have to worry about that til they are at least 6 months.

Just try turning a few crickets loose in their brooder and watch what happens. Worth the cost of them at the bait store to me. IMO they are old enough for that now. I promise you, my 3 or 4 week old chicks have eaten their share of bugs already.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
  7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Here's BYC treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

There
    is no really solid answer about when to start. Some people wait longer, others start almost at day 1. The main thing about treats is, it's safest to limit them to about 10% or less of their daily intake. That way you know they are getting the nutrients, vitamins and minerals and such, and such that they need.

Of course you can learn all about that stuff and feed them whatever you want, even make your own feed. More expensive than buying starter and grower, though. Just try to keep a balance. This AM I gave 5 minute oats (right out of the box) and BOSS -- a little whole grain and a little protein and fat.

They are are omnivores, and will eat every bug, snail, slug, snake, mouse, etc. that they can get hold of, very eagerly. Fruit and veggie trimmings are usually eaten eagerly as well. They love BOSS and scrambled eggs. They also probably love a bit of whatever you are having for dinner -- even chicken.

Some creatures do carry worms that can then infest the chicken, earthworms included. But you couldn't stop them from eating a grasshopper or worm or whatever if you wanted. Many people simply put them on a regular worming program. You don't have to worry about that til they are at least 6 months.

Just try turning a few crickets loose in their brooder and watch what happens. Worth the cost of them at the bait store to me. IMO they are old enough for that now. I promise you, my 3 or 4 week old chicks have eaten their share of bugs already.

Thanks Dawn... Saved me from saying a LOT. Cant just feed some table scraps and treats and expect a healthy flock.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Oh, and by the way, cracked corn is my chickens' favorite treat. It also helps them produce heat in winter months. My old feed was organic and actually had the corn in it and worked great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by