feeding 7 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickabator, Jan 26, 2008.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    what should I be feeding my 7 week old rhode island reds? I have had them on starter since they were brought into this world but it says to quit giving it to them at 6 weeks they do not sell grower here where I live so what should I feed them. we have mixed starter with cracked corn would that be alright as long as I give them grit? we do have some stuff here called yard mix it has sunflower, soybean peas and a bunch of tiny seeds in it along with corn but it is not cracked it is whole can they eat that?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I personally would just keep feeding your starter up to the point of lay. That is waht I do, our starter is a start and grow. Else you could try to find a "poultry feed" which is all purpose. I wouldn't advise adding too much scratch as that's junk food to them and their regular feed should have plenty of corn in it.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally unrelated but I WANT BABY PICS!! I have 15 RIRs coming next month and need to live vicariously through you, lol! [​IMG]

4. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:Okay, so laying time is roughly 20 wks? I have RIRs, BOs, and BRs. I've got mine on 5-6 wks now, still have some fuzz on their backsides. Got them on medicated starter. Don't know if I need wormer added to their water? The seller told me she didn't do it, but I got a bottle of the stuff anyway.

5. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    the two white ones are red star cockerells
    [​IMG]

6. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    these are my white rock babies they are 4 weeks old today[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I usually go with their medicated starter till about 18 weeks old. After that I get the bag of layer. As for worming meds... I've had birds for 10 years and never wormed them once. If they are exposed to the ground and dirt and such, I guess you can, but at this age I think it is unnecessary. Remember as adults, you don't want to eat any eggs from your birds for about a month after worming as the stuff stays in their systems.

I usually follow the mantra of less is more. Tend to avoid medicating or treating for things I can't see are affecting my flock.

8. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    [​IMG] this is one of my barred rock pullets she is now 15 weeks old they are enjoing the sun and warmth today

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would also feed them the starter til point of lay...the chicks will have all the proteins they need in a start/grower/and or a finisher, then they are fed a layer mash/crumble......my feed stores carrying the combo of starter/grower and then there is a finisher to feed.....and they carry medicated or unmedicated...

I only worm my adult birds every two years...in between I use pumpkin seeds and DE....my opinion wormers are used too much on backyard flocks with people not knowing how and too often.....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by