Feeding 8 week old leghorns

Newbeechicks

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
I had a question on feed. I’ve been feeding them chick feed since we got them as little chicks. I went to the feed store they only had laying feed. Can my 8 week chicken have that? I Heard it can affect their kidneys giving them laying feed? It’s 16% laying feed!

I would find a different feed store, one that carries All flock all the time. I use Purina flock raiser Mostly but I will purchase Any major brand that has the latest manufacture date when I go to the store (tractor supply).

The way I figure, more than half the year:
- you have chicks
- you have hens not laying due to daylight hours
- you have hens not laying due to molt (and this can be months and months of the year if you look at all the times any single hen is molting)
- You have a broody
- You might have a roo

I just see no reason to buy layer feed when any given day one of these factors could be impacting the flock and layer feed would negatively impact at least one bird. This is why I don’t even consider any feed but the most recent mill date Flock Raiser (any brand) with a can of oyster shell always present.

Don't give young chicks a layer ration. I personally never use a layer ration. Keep your chicks on a starter grower or an All Flock ration until they mature. You than can leave them on it, or switch to a layer if you wish. I leave mine on an All Flock, and I put out a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Don't give young chicks a layer ration. I personally never use a layer ration. Keep your chicks on a starter grower or an All Flock ration until they mature. You than can leave them on it, or switch to a layer if you wish. I leave mine on an All Flock, and I put out a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Thanks so much for your input!

Thank u so much!

Back
Top Bottom