Feeding 8 week old Production Reds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by magnolia-1971, May 13, 2010.

1. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Hi, I am wondering if/when there is a time when I can remove the chikens food at night. Can I take it out around 8ish PM and put it back in the morning?

Also, we are trying to decide when to stop the heat lamp at night. We live in Wisconsin so nights are in the 30's to 50's and highs are between 50-70.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    My 5 11+ week old pullets go in to their little house to go to sleep when it starts getting dim out. Maybe 6:00-6:30 PM. They don't come back out to eat till maybe 6:30-7:30 AM. So I think yours will be fine.

Also if I were you I'd stop the heat lamp, they should be old enough by now to survive a couple nights of -40 degree weather. But that's just me, try that and when the night is at it's coldest check up on the chicks and if they are huddled up together acting very uncomfortable them they may need some heat. But they should be old enough.

3. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Where I am the coldest it is at night here is 70's... I left my 3 week olds out two nights in a row, and everytime I checked on them they were fine and no huddling. I brought them in tonight because there's a storm brewing and I don't think they could handle the changes of temps that go with these storms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by